Lithium cell charging...but Not really charging

Alt.tycho22.5

Joined Feb 7, 2020
Hello. I am having an odd issue with a cell phone battery. It is old but I was hoping there is a way to reset the battery's memory or something. This is the issue:
When the battery has been fully charged the status will say that it is still charging even though the device has been pulled from the charger. For example it will say 97% battery...charging. The rate of discharge in this state happens at the same rate if the battery were pulled from the device as well. This will happen until the percentage gets to 66% then the status is no longer "charging" . 66% is always the percentage where the anomaly stops. Anything less than 66% the battery runs normal.

Help

Alt.tycho22.5

Joined Feb 7, 2020
Hello. I am having an odd issue with a cell phone battery. It is old but I was hoping there is a way to reset the battery's memory or something. This is the issue:
When the battery has been fully charged the status will say that it is still charging even though the device has been pulled from the charger. For example it will say 97% battery...charging. The rate of discharge in this state happens at the same rate if the battery were pulled from the device as well. This will happen until the percentage gets to 66% then the status is no longer "charging" . 66% is always the percentage where the anomaly stops. Anything less than 66% the battery runs normal.

Help
Bump

Alt.tycho22.5

Joined Feb 7, 2020
Have you swapped the battery to check the charger?
Thanks for the reply.

First I have been able to check the charger with other batteries as well as this battery with other chargers. This battery's issue persists. The problem is I have limited resources right now meaning getting simple replacements are hard. This battery performs well below 66% which makes me wonder if the problem is with the battery's "regulator"?
(I am fairly ignorant to electronics on a micro scale)
"You'll never walk alone"

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
if your charger is working with other batteries and this battery is failing to hold a charge - then your battery probably has a bad cell and you need to replace it. Batteries go bad - especially old ones.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
there is a high probability that (according to today's "quality") your phone is "faulty" either the software or hw . . .
my family member had a similar issue ... it took 3 visits to warranty service
  • they changed the sw -- no effect
  • they replaced something little -- no effect
  • they replaced the entire in-holds of the phone -- the problem dissappared !

Alt.tycho22.5

Joined Feb 7, 2020
there is a high probability that (according to today's "quality") your phone is "faulty" either the software or hw . . .
my family member had a similar issue ... it took 3 visits to warranty service
  • they changed the sw -- no effect
  • they replaced something little -- no effect
  • they replaced the entire in-holds of the phone -- the problem dissappared !
Thanks for the info but wow damn that sucks. Something tells me there is nothing over the air or that a apk with su access can fix...