Linear Actuator?

PepeLapiu

Joined Jul 8, 2019
Hey guys. I need a linear actuator with the following specs:

Travel is 1 inch in push.
Power is 12 VDC and I have about 25 Amps available
Force of push should be 10 lbs (44 N) or more.
Speed of actuation should be around 1 inch/sec or more.
And the actuator should spring back to it's retracted state when power is cut off.

I was thinking maybe just the motor for electric car windows would do just fine. But these motors don't retract when tge power is cut off. You need to reverse the polarity to retract it.

This is to actuate a spray can nozzle automatically for no more than 2 seconds at a time. I estimate the force needed to actuate the nozzle to be around 8 lbs or so.

Anyone here can point me in the right direction?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Just to start the ball rolling: Looking at a 12 V DC LA, 2 " stroke 110 lb. 1/2 in / sec. pushing on short end of walking beam 1:2, long end pulling down with electro magnet attached. Magnet armature is pushing load down when power is applied to both LA & magnet. When power is cut, magnet armature returns to start position on spring power. LA must be reversed to return to start.

PepeLapiu

Joined Jul 8, 2019
Just to start the ball rolling: Looking at a 12 V DC LA, 2 " stroke 110 lb. 1/2 in / sec. pushing on short end of walking beam 1:2, long end pulling down with electro magnet attached. Magnet armature is pushing load down when power is applied to both LA & magnet. When power is cut, magnet armature returns to start position on spring power. LA must be reversed to return to start.
Thanx!
Does this look to you like it would work :
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-12V-2-5A...lenoid-Electromagnet-/233173662019?nav=SEARCH

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
eBay has over a 100 different sizes ... search "solenoid" I think your figures are high , most cans need less than 10N to activate and only require 1cm of travel ...

PepeLapiu

Joined Jul 8, 2019
eBay has over a 100 different sizes ... search "solenoid" I think your figures are high , most cans need less than 10N to activate and only require 1cm of travel ...

Hi and thanx for your reply.
I measured it with a gun trigger pull meter I already own. The nozzle does require 8 lbs of pull to activate. I didn't measure trigger distance but I figured 1 inch (25mm) would be more than enough.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
This is for your trailer protection project? If using a standard spray can, like used for paint, the nozzles don't like to be over pressured too much.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
On the JF-1564 B solenoid it would be helpful to know the operating conditions when the 55 N was measured. Might be breakaway force from fully closed armature, metal to metal ? The solenoid can be over powered for first , say, 100 ms. & latched with 12 V.
How to over power? At first detection the cap. bank is charged ( 36 V ? ), from a boost converter for about 2 s & then dumped via SCR into solenoid which is then held by 12V.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Is PepeLapiu even sure this thing is legal for use in his area of living? Some places may look at this bear spray thing as a "set gun", even though it doesn't use deadly force it is still a force.