Lincoln MIG welder component identification

bushav

Joined Aug 22, 2022
Component.png

Hello from a new member! Thanks for allowing me to join. I am a hobbiest whose hobbies often involve electronics. In the last two years I have built a virtual pinball cabinet and a multicade that replicates a Galaga machine.

I am stuck trying to identify the above component. My Lincoln MIG 135 welder had the wire feed quit last week. I discovered a few fried components on the 24 volt board. I have ordered a voltage regulator transistor and two ceramic resistors in the circuit. The last component that fried is pictured above. I thing it most likely is a thermal fuse but I just don't know and Lincoln's schematic shows the board as an assembly and doesn't break down the components. In addition to the "105K" there is a "+35" with possibly some more digits on the other side. Can anyone help me identify this component? I hate to throw away a good welder just because the variable voltage for the wire motor is toast. Thanks.
Lane

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Less a schematic my best guess is a carbon resistor. The 105K leads me to believe that. Then too with the other markings it's hard to tell.

Ron

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Hard to say, could be a thermal fuse but equally could be a 100nf poly capacitor with high voltage rating. Without tracing out the circuit or finding a schematic its going to be a bit of a guess..

This is a Lincoln Pro-Mig 135? Your picture is basically fuzz lol.
The part is an axial tantalum capacitor 1uF 35V (105K 35) The part has polarity (fillet + stripe), do not put the new one in backwards. Kemet makes them i.e. T322B105K035AT and available at Digi-Key, Mouser etc.
These caps typically fail short-circuit and burn up.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The part is an axial tantalum capacitor 1uF 35V (105K 35) The part has polarity (fillet + stripe), do not put the new one in backwards. Kemet makes them i.e. T322B105K035AT and available at Digi-Key, Mouser etc.
I second the identification of a capacitor. AFAIK no resistor has ever been marked 105. The K is a tolerance, ±10%.

t_glover

Joined Mar 16, 2021
There should be a part number on the printed circuit side of the board.
I was on Lincolns website looking for info on a board for a mig welder
and found troubleshooting info a schematic for the board. I never
saved the link and the PC's has purged it from my browsing history.
Here is a link to the replacement board I found for mine:

https://www.lincolnwelderrepairparts.com/search?q=880-154-000

You may be able to look up the board for your on this site and identify
component you need in the picture.

Last edited:

bushav

Joined Aug 22, 2022

Thank you! I believe you are quite right. I googled part number and a few of the images match my component exactly. I'll place the order right now