Lin bus/Bosch water pump

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Hi all,

I bought a Bosch coolant pump meant for a car, it's a neat job, 12 v bldc. I want to use it to pump glycol for a milk chiller.

I'd like to be able to control the speed of the pump and was intending to use pwm.

Reading up on Bosch website it says can be controlled by pwm or lin, I've read up a bit on Lin and seems it's normally a 3 wire setup, +gnd & Lin.

Sensors can be 2 wire using a capacitor and diode but current is very limited.

My pump has only 2 connections , I've emailed Bosch to ask for a data sheet but I wonder if I'll get an answer.

Anyone had anything to do with Lin? If the pump can be controlled by Lin I feel it may be more efficient than pwm?

Cheers Geoff

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The control connection will not directly affect the efficiency of the pump but it might affect the ability to change the exact flow-rate rate in some way.. LIN is a digital data interface much like serial RS-232/RS-422/RS-485 that higher protocols used to communicate, more complex than simple PWM control but it saves interconnect wiring by allowing one control connection (to a micro-controller) to control many devices. I don't see that as a big problem with a milk pump.
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/Appnotes/00002059B.pdf

Similar pump with PWM control.
https://www.cascadiamotion.com/images/documents/Bosch_PCE-XL_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

Last edited:

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Thanks that's interesting, looks like that pump has 3 terminals? Tricky to see but I think there's at least 3 connections there?
The Bosch I have had 2 terminals and I wondered how lin would work over that?

Cheers Geoff

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Well it looks like I'll be using pwm!
Just had a response from Bosch , I'm afraid we can't tell you anything about that pump!

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
IMG_20230411_135537_457.jpgIMG_20230411_135520_297.jpg

Anyone used these? I've been looking for MOSFETs to pwm the water pump and could buy these little boards cheaper than one mosfet from rs?!
There's 2x D4184 n channel mosfet on the board in parallel by the look of it.

Any thoughts or experience of them?

Cheers Geoff