Limiting inrush current of DC Motor

Dark8164

Joined Aug 27, 2022
Given the old motor ran off batteries, probably AA cells which are pretty poor at high current loads, my view is you are over thinking the problem.

Put the motor in the clipper and try it. If it's truly a more powerful motor, chances are it will work ok. A bigger problem might be if it's revs are much higher so cutting torque might be actually lower despite being more powerful. Try it and see.
Given the old motor ran off batteries, probably AA cells which are pretty poor at high current loads, my view is you are over thinking the problem.

Put the motor in the clipper and try it. If it's truly a more powerful motor, chances are it will work ok. A bigger problem might be if it's revs are much higher so cutting torque might be actually lower despite being more powerful. Try it and see.
I will...thank you!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly the new motor is capable of more power, at over 5 amps atsome load and 25volts that is 125 watts. Consider the proposed power supply 19 volts and two amps. which is 38 watts. So the motor will survive very well.
But I am doubting that the replacement motor will fit