Lightweight air core transformer?

Robert Clark

Joined Aug 6, 2016
HP I say you're overthinking! To me it looks like OP just wants to use electrostatic repulsion between lifter and gnd instead of creating drive from reaction of ejected ions:confused:?
Aleph Null, if you'll permit me to call you that, you're being more creative than I was. I was assuming the usual theory for how the lifters work by ejecting ionized air molecules backwards under the effect of an electric field.

But I am intrigued by your electrostatic propulsion idea. How would that work?

Bob Clrk

Well said as a true protege of Hypatia. :)

But why is the power to weight so poor for Tesla coils, when they don't even need to have a core? Is the power loss rate so high?

Bob Clark
It turns out the higher frequencies attending practical operation of 'air core' power transformer topologies entail greater radiation and proximity/skin effect losses -- While the latter may be mitigated via 'special' winding technique (e.g. windings fashioned of 'litz wire', etc.) and the former via 'tuned' shielding -- said measures tend to compare unfavorably with ferrite (or Fe powder) core units as regards mass 'conservation' --- Then too are the more stringent resonant capacitor requirements (and, hence, overall driver weight)...

For all that, was there a practical method for power rectification (as opposed to 'detection') at frequencies > 10MHz -- very lightweight DC EHT PSUs would be a 'snap':)

FWIW I strongly urge you to investigate ferrite transformers --- For instance, many LOPTs salvaged from large (CRT) TVs may be operated to 500W well-neigh continuously (in open air):)

Best regards and again good luck!:cool:
HP:)

Aleph Null, if you'll permit me to call you that, you're being more creative than I was. I was assuming the usual theory for how the lifters work by ejecting ionized air molecules backwards under the effect of an electric field.

But I am intrigued by your electrostatic propulsion idea. How would that work?

Bob Clrk
Careful, Bob! You'll swell her head even more (if that's possible!) -- Methinks Aleph(0) is descriptive of her hat size:D

TTFN
HP

Robert Clark

Joined Aug 6, 2016
Aleph(0), Hypathia's Protege, #12, math references outside of specifically mathematical discussions usually send me into paroxysms of glee. But I must restrain myself since I'm in a public place. :)

Bob Clark

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It's natural enough that 'math buffs' should be drawn to electronics inasmuch as said discipline offers much in the ways of the abstract and the 'concrete' -- 'hands on intellectualism' -- It just doesn't get any better than that;):cool:

Best regards
The component tolerances in electronics is one of the hardest things for me to overcome. As one who spent his life in precision machining losing the need for component precision is mind blowing.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The component tolerances in electronics is one of the hardest things for me to overcome. As one who spent his life in precision machining losing the need for component precision is mind blowing.
Ditto... some electronic components have tolerances too wide for me to accept in blind faith for practical purposes.

Ditto... some electronic components have tolerances too wide for me to accept in blind faith for practical purposes.
I hear ya! Dig those "+20% -60%" Caps - Aye! Aye! Aye!:eek:

Best regards

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's natural enough that 'math buffs' should be drawn to electronics inasmuch as said discipline offers much in the ways of the abstract and the 'concrete' -- 'hands on intellectualism' -- It just doesn't get any better than that;):cool:

Best regards
It's also natural because some of them don't want to be prisoners of G.H. Hardy's vision of mathematics:

"For Hardy, the most beautiful mathematics was that which had no practical applications in the outside world" (source)

It's also natural because some of them don't want to be prisoners of G.H. Hardy's vision of mathematics:

"For Hardy, the most beautiful mathematics was that which had no practical applications in the outside world" (source)
Indeed! -- I fairly cringe at Boole's reaction should he somehow see what "they've done" with his erstwhile 'pristine' "Algebra of Thought":eek::eek::eek: --- How truly abstraction is an ethereally beautiful state - sadly one cannot subsist upon 'appreciation' alone:(

Best regards

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Um... Did I miss something? -- Who's Duane???:confused:
Yes. All of my life is not on this site. I have known Dx since 1974, but he's not an electronics nerd, he's a luthier and an audiophool. That's the best thing I have found for evaluating audio designs. Just don't let him see the insides...make him use only his ear.:rolleyes:

BTW, most of what I google for Aleph is, "the first letter of the Jewish alphabet". Wanna clue me in on the mathematical reference?

Component tolerances interfered with my learning process. I thought, "How can you know what to expect out of a design when the answer is +/- 20% the day the machine is built (and gets worse from there)?" My job as QC for precision analog measuring systems was the challenge I needed to take the magic out of circuits. When I started getting answers that were sloppy in the third digit, I became a believer.:)

BTW, most of what I google for Aleph is, "the first letter of the Jewish alphabet". Wanna clue me in on the mathematical reference?
Aleph(n) denominates the transfinite cardinals -- Aleph(0) being "equal" to the 'count' of all integers - or, more precisely, the cardinality of the set of natural numbers -- and, hence, crudely equivalent to the polar magnatude of x/0 (x|x is a non-zero finite number) -- FWIW, outside of Set Theory/Transfinite Algebra, "Aleph(0)" is generally (albeit it dubiously) regarded as synonymous with "∞"...

All in all, IMNSHO her adoption of said moniker is merely @Aleph(0) 's way of asserting her oh! So! unique "power", "importance" and, most of all, "profundity":rolleyes::p

Best regards

Last edited: