library/algorithm/formula needed!

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Eric007, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Eric007

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi All,

I would like to render something like attached, that is when move an image (bubble/circle) to one side of the screen (up, down, left or right) something like a wave/liquid/... appear, as attached, to that side of the screen.

Hope my description is not too vague but the image is more explanatory. I am not sure if I should study 2d physics or animation or... I need guidance, links,... to point me towards the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

2. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    Is this meant to be an animation? I just see a static image. Or maybe the posting indicates "I have a static image and I want to animate it".

3. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks Jhon for your reply!
    I am currently reading on OpenGL ES to implement the above.

No it's not static! There are, if I may say, 2 objects. One that is visible and that can be move either by dragging or using direction and another one that only appear as a liquid or something when the 1st object is move to one side of the screen.

After reading I think I will be able to do the first part (drawing that bubble shape and moving it around) not sure yet about the second part.

Many Thanks
    Eric

4. MrSoftware

Oct 29, 2013
    OpenGL or DirectX would both do the trick, but those are lower level API's. These are great if you want to write code yourself. If you just want to achieve the end goal, then look for a higher level animation tool.

5. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    I'm using OpenGL ES 2 and this is actually harder than I thought it'd be. Ima need more time to grasp all the concepts.

@MrSoftware Thanks for your input. What higher level animation tool you would suggest?

Btw I deleted the picture but can put it back if needed but I assume you all seen it.

I'm having a hard time right now.

Eric

6. thumb2

Oct 4, 2015
    Take a look to OpenCV.

7. MrSoftware

Oct 29, 2013
    I haven't worked in the computer graphics realm for some years now, I'm not sure what's out there these days. If you google computer animation tools, or computer simulation tools, etc.. then I'm sure you'll come up with a lot of reading to get started. The key is that you're looking for a tool to create animations with, you're not trying to invent a new tool yourself.

If you're just starting out and coding isn't your end goal, then jumping into OpenGL or DirectX at the API level is going to have a very steep learning curve. The higher level tools you find might use OpenGL, DirectX, etc.. under the hood.

Here are some links to get you started:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_animation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_animation

8. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    What you do when they give you a task that looks impossible and there's a deadline? I said impossible I know the above is not impossible but I know you got what I mean...

9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I don't see the original image anymore..
    But based on the details given (very few) maybe you could just accomplish your goal with CSS/Javascript animations..
    Thats FAR easier than diving into OpenGL/DirectX,etc..

10. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    Btw, it's for an android mobile application.

11. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    MrSoftware likes this.
  12. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
  13. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    I am hijacking my thread a bit...

I am looking for a good 'arial' font to apply to some text for one of my programs. The one I have making the text size smaller and bold (not cool). I just want it to change the default to arial.

Eric

14. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    Anybody knows how to export vertices of a 2d image/model? I did some google research and I found Blender...

15. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    :rolleyes:I been thinking... Why they always give me weird funny tasks?? And this is way back from school...

16. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Because you can solve it. And because they can. :D

Eric007 likes this.
  17. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    You were right and your words encouraged me! I am at 85% of finishing the job...:)

nerdegutta likes this.