LG monitor power problem.

Αντώνης Τερζής

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Those power bricks invariably have over current shutdown, and are reasonably robust - but a sudden short can damage the secondary side rectifier.

As always with SMPSU, you have to watch out whether the secondary rectifier is Shottky-barrier type, a fast silicon rectifier will over heat if used to replace a SB rectifier.

Most monitors with power brick and a lot of laptops I've seen were 19V - I've never seen a TV with a power brick.
Thanks Ian! I don't know what a rectifier is and what it does but I am going to look it now on the internet. So if there is a faulty rectifier, could I change it with a new one using my kinda basic soldering skills? And you are right the adapter's output is 19 volts

Also Ian, cab you spot the rectifier on the crappy photo? If yes I would be grateful if you could circle it and upload it

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Does the universal adaptor have the same power ratings? Listen, if you can't measure the output of your brick with a multimeter, then how are you ever going to diagnose your monitor if it is bad. If you get multimeter, we will help you. Otherwise you are wasting everybody's time guessing.

Αντώνης Τερζής

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Does the universal adaptor have the same power ratings? Listen, if you can't measure the output of your brick with a multimeter, then how are you ever going to diagnose your monitor if it is bad. If you get multimeter, we will help you. Otherwise you are wasting everybody's time guessing.
I just asked,sorry. I didn't know I needed a multimeter. Anyway I gave the tv to LG service so they can find out what is the problem . Thanks for your answer

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Very smart move but don't let that deter you from learning. Stick around, read threads, use the online textbooks, converse with knowledgeable people and some day, you will be able to do your own repairs. Never too late to learn.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
bwilliams60 makes a good point, stick around, read the threads that interest you, and in time you will learn.
I'm closer to 70 than I am to 60, and I learn new things on this site all the time.