LG monitor power problem.

Αντώνης Τερζής

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Hey there AAC guys, this is my first post to your great forum.

So here is my problem.I own a LG 23MA53D tv that I use as a computer monitor. The power cable was a little bit short so I made an extension and it worked like a charm for about a year. So yesterday while I was cleaning somehow the diy power supply extension I had made shorted and a little spark came of(my tv was turned off) after that I tried to turn on my tv but as expected nothing happened.My tv doesn't have an internal transformer. It has an external power brick so I tried to open it and look for any blown capacitors but with no luck. Right now I am ready to cry so I need your help to this problem . thanks in advance!

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Have you measured the output of your "power brick"? Lets figure out if its that or the monitor first. If it is in the monitor, pull the back off and post pictures of the boards.

Αντώνης Τερζής

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Have you measured the output of your "power brick"? Lets figure out if its that or the monitor first. If it is in the monitor, pull the back off and post pictures of the boards.
I thought about by I don't have a spare polymeter right now and it is kinda difficult to find one. I'll post some photos tomorrow morning of the board.Thanks!

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Ah... that "brick". It's the same as the one I use on my ASUS laptop.

As you have already opened it up and found no fuse was blown. Do you have a multimeter so that you can measure if there is anything shorted? Most probably an electrolytic cap or MOSFETs.

Allen

Αντώνης Τερζής

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Ah... that "brick". It's the same as the one I use on my ASUS laptop.

As you have already opened it up and found no fuse was blown. Do you have a multimeter so that you can measure if there is anything shorted? Most probably an electrolytic cap or MOSFETs.

Allen
Well, I tried to use my laptops but the output wasn't enough to power the monitor. I could find a multimeter but I have no knowledge of using one. I will seek for tutorials in the internet. So you say that I need to find a multimeter and test the capacitor's capacitances?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
So here is a quick photo. I am sure you can't understand much from this photo. The brick has three capacitors. You can clearly see the two and the third hidding in the corner.View attachment 90445
Those power bricks invariably have over current shutdown, and are reasonably robust - but a sudden short can damage the secondary side rectifier.

As always with SMPSU, you have to watch out whether the secondary rectifier is Shottky-barrier type, a fast silicon rectifier will over heat if used to replace a SB rectifier.

Most monitors with power brick and a lot of laptops I've seen were 19V - I've never seen a TV with a power brick.

Αντώνης Τερζής

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Measure the output of the power adapter with a voltmeter. If you're uncertain of what you're doing, you should find someone who does. Even if the adapter is damaged, you could still expose yourself to dangerous voltages if you have it opened.
Thanks! The first thing I am going to do when I find a multimeter is this.