Level shifter

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
At the 250 mA the OP quoted,
what resistor values would we suggest ?
Just a series resistor of 240 Ω to drive 12V from 24V at 50mA.
But we don't actually know if he has a 12V supply, or whether he is actually trying to run a 12V load from a 24V supply

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Just a series resistor of 240 Ω to drive 12V from 24V at 50mA.
But we don't actually know if he has a 12V supply, or whether he is actually trying to run a 12V load from a 24V supply
For info of the op

To be clear , single resistor is now. Proposed, not a resistor divider.
As such , the voltage on the load as you say is not constant , but varies with current taken.
At low current the voltage on the load would be almost the full 24 volts.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
That does not sound like a signal. Signals are normally a voltage level or current level and not something that significant power is drawn from. 12 V at 250 mA is 3 Watts.

Let’s stop playing 20 questions. Tell us what you are trying to do. Then we might be able to offer you a reasonable solution.

What is the source of your “signals” and what are they driving?

Bob
I've started to enjoy reading the 20 questions on this site. Someone will post a vague question and 10 engineers will crash in with all kinds of possibilities and solutions. I learn quite a bit watching you guys go narrow it down because it shows the different methods and thought processes.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I've started to enjoy reading the 20 questions on this site. Someone will post a vague question and 10 engineers will crash in with all kinds of possibilities and solutions. I learn quite a bit watching you guys go narrow it down because it shows the different methods and thought processes.
We just wish that the thread-starter would narrow it down for us to save us the bother!

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
We just wish that the thread-starter would narrow it down for us to save us the bother!
In my opinion there should be additional forms for the user to enter depending on their type of question. It would force them to think harder about their problem and what kind of information advisors need to know to formulate a response. I've seen you guys lose your minds quite a few times already trying to do the TS's thinking for them.. is the nature of forums I suppose.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
In my opinion there should be additional forms for the user to enter depending on their type of question. It would force them to think harder about their problem and what kind of information advisors need to know to formulate a response. I've seen you guys lose your minds quite a few times already trying to do the TS's thinking for them.. is the nature of forums I suppose.
The converse is that if the question is too specific but the approach isn't the best, then suggesting "you'd be much better off approaching it like this. . . " isn't always too welcome!

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
The converse is that if the question is too specific but the approach isn't the best, then suggesting "you'd be much better off approaching it like this. . . " isn't always too welcome!
Haha yes those were my kind of questions and pretty much still are because I am focusing on a firm grasp of the most basic applied concepts. My circuits incorporate components that I was able to get my hands on for cheap and I use KISS methods to ease my debugging. I know perfectly well my ways are archaic and inefficient so I try not to ask questions that were answered 30 years ago in published reports and datasheets. Plus, I see a lot of people asking questions in their employment that makes me wonder shouldn't they already know that?? Seems like an easy way out for the non-hobbyist.