level shifter: 12 to 5 volts-PWM

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
If in doubt, or working with higher frequencies, the decoupling cap should have a resonant frequency higher than the risetime of the waveform.

When the above thumb-rule is a conflict, use a pair, such as 0.1uF and 4.7 or 10uF. This provides two frequencies at which the impedance is lowest, and overall lower power supply impedance throughout the system. Visualize the larger cap moving the power supply "near", and the smaller cap bringing the supply the last bit of distance, like two wire stretchers. :p

The size of the large cap should increase if there is high current draw IC, such as a driver, but the 0.1uF should stay roughly the same. The reason for this is real capacitor properties such as ESR, ESL, which create small RC time constants.

I realize the above doesn't make intuitive sense. Confusion usually arises from thinking about decoupling caps as ideal mini-batteries. When viewed in terms of waveform risetime to determine the smallest RC value for the lowest source impedance to the IC, and a larger cap to reduce source impedance to the smaller cap, it becomes a bit more clear.

Finally, if building your circuit on a solderless breadboard, cut the component leads as short as practical to be reused, yet still "reach". Also, cut all sorts of custom length breadboard wires, and avoid curling/twisting them.

lmartinez

Joined Mar 8, 2009
If in doubt, or working with higher frequencies, the decoupling cap should have a resonant frequency higher than the risetime of the waveform.

When the above thumb-rule is a conflict, use a pair, such as 0.1uF and 4.7 or 10uF. This provides two frequencies at which the impedance is lowest, and overall lower power supply impedance throughout the system. Visualize the larger cap moving the power supply "near", and the smaller cap bringing the supply the last bit of distance, like two wire stretchers. :p

The size of the large cap should increase if there is high current draw IC, such as a driver, but the 0.1uF should stay roughly the same. The reason for this is real capacitor properties such as ESR, ESL, which create small RC time constants.

I realize the above doesn't make intuitive sense. Confusion usually arises from thinking about decoupling caps as ideal mini-batteries. When viewed in terms of waveform risetime to determine the smallest RC value for the lowest source impedance to the IC, and a larger cap to reduce source impedance to the smaller cap, it becomes a bit more clear.

Finally, if building your circuit on a solderless breadboard, cut the component leads as short as practical to be reused, yet still "reach". Also, cut all sorts of custom length breadboard wires, and avoid curling/twisting them.
How is the reasonant frequency calculated for a given circuit where ringing is an issue?

"I understand the rise time of a wave form is the difference between the times to reach the 10% point of its leading edge and the 90% point of that same leading edge". Please advice

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
That's where it gets ugly. Different PCB tracks have different inductance/resistance.

If you can view the waveform, it tells you right away. Ringing needs a larger bypass, or a smaller one, if a large one is present.

I found a site since my last post that helps you calculate, though I'd recommend 0.1uF/100nF (same value) caps, as they have been produced in huge quantities for this purpose, and are therefore very affordable.

http://www.icd.com.au/

lmartinez

Joined Mar 8, 2009
That's where it gets ugly. Different PCB tracks have different inductance/resistance.

If you can view the waveform, it tells you right away. Ringing needs a larger bypass, or a smaller one, if a large one is present.

I found a site since my last post that helps you calculate, though I'd recommend 0.1uF/100nF (same value) caps, as they have been produced in huge quantities for this purpose, and are therefore very affordable.

http://www.icd.com.au/
Thank you for your feed back