Let's talk chess

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I was wondering what's your favourite chess openings; are you aggressive, defensive or positional?

Do you play the Sicilian defense or do you go for the fried liver attack!?

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Sounds like you have a pair of chess prodigies under your belt! I'm nothing special. I spent lunchtime indoors at school playing chess when I was about 9 but it fizzled out for some reason. I've only got back into it since the past 4 years or so, admittedly forgetting even what the pieces did. I lost all my knowledge. A "pub" friend got me back into it but nobody wanted to play anymore so I took it online. The real kick in the butt is if I carried on playing the moment I could pick up a piece I'd have almost twenty years experience under my belt, I'd be a GM by now! So take my advice, get your lads back into it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That was almost 40 years ago! The boys are not the people who quit, I did. And they live 3000 miles away, AFIK.

Nothing like a sound drubbing by a couple of Munchkins to convince me that chess is not in my talented spot. :D

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
@#12

Talk about branching out, they're the other side of the world! I think my life existence has occurred within about a 30 mile radius of home. I'm not much of a traveler. I get bored. Nothing beats the vibe of being back in your home town.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You get bored with new sights, new places, different social structures? I think you're looking in the wrong places. The most fun I ever had was traveling the country from sea to shining sea!

My knowledge of electronics landed me a job everywhere I went, within hours. Electronics was my ticket to ride, and I rode it all over the country.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Sadly, yes. Sight seeing has never done it for me. I don't know what I'd gain from it. The only time I've agreed on a holiday is to keep the "peace" when I'm actually counting down the days until I'm back to my standardized routine.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Sadly, yes. Sight seeing has never done it for me. I don't know what I'd gain from it. The only time I've agreed on a holiday is to keep the "peace" when I'm actually counting down the days until I'm back to my standardized routine.
The world needs all types. Do what makes you comfortable.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I prefer to play my stratagy games at work. ;)

I'm a long term win type player when it comes to 'Sink the idiot Boss'. :D

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
1. KP-K3
2.QP-Q4
3. KB-Q3
4. KN-KB3
5.QN-QB3

From here I play the center and castle early to protect my King. I've always found opening the hardest, so I don't vary this much.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If your not enjoying the scenery ...
Your looking at the wrong items.

From Italy to Alaska, there is always something pleasing to the eye.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Sure ... If your flying or on a cruise ship... :)

Eye candy is found everywhere. There might be a few sights to see otherwise.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
1. KP-K3
2.QP-Q4
3. KB-Q3
4. KN-KB3
5.QN-QB3

From here I play the center and castle early to protect my King. I've always found opening the hardest, so I don't vary this much.
I don't follow your notation for the moves you're making. You've also omitted what moves your opponent has chosen. It's hard to say for such a case.

May be this could solve the issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_(chess)

I didn't start look into my openings until I noticed each game started to become a bit the "same", static let's say. Knowledge of openings changed this considerably. Let's say the game became more dynamic and varied. In post #1, I listed the Sicilian defense and the fried liver attack. These are chess openings to name but a few.

I find this Youtube video of the top ten openings a great success (two of which I've named) :

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You've also omitted what moves your opponent has chosen. It's hard to say for such a case.
That's because you asked for openings. I'm not trying to re-create a game. Below is an example of the notation:

KP-K3 = King's Pawn to King's 3
QN-QB3 = Queen's Knight to Queen's Bishop's 3
etc.

Edit: KP-K3 should have been P-K3. King's pawn is assumed. I just play.

See Descriptive Chess Notation

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
That's because you asked for openings. I'm not trying to re-create a game. Below is an example of the notation:

KP-K3 = King's Pawn to King's 3
QN-QB3 = Queen's Knight to Queen's Bishop's 3
etc.

Edit: KP-K3 should have been P-K3. King's pawn is assumed. I just play.

See Descriptive Chess Notation
No. Your notation is wrong. Did you not look at the Wiki' link in post #17?

Openings are based on the moves you and your opponent will make. That's the process in how openings get named. So yes, you need to re-create a game.