Less expensive, benchtop logic analyzer

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Can anyone recommend a lower end, bench logic analyzer that is not PC based? 16 or 32 channels with good trigger features and 100 to 500 MHz sampling. Sample length is somewhat secondary. Looks to me like all the standalone logic analyzers are at the high end. They would be used in a student lab and float from bench to bench. A laptop with a PC based unit is certainly an option but I was wondering if anything filled the space between PC based and the mucho $$$ units.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I searched but could not find this brand.
Yeah. Much as we might hope that a given product exists, that expectation might not be reflected in the marketplace. Most desktop PC's have the processing power and the meory to store and retrieve the data, but a standalone instument needs a few more things whose cost goes up as the number of channels. I have an HP 1630D that I got for $450 at a trash for cash auction in 1992. You can have it for the shipping cost.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yeah. Much as we might hope that a given product exists, that expectation might not be reflected in the marketplace. Most desktop PC's have the processing power and the meory to store and retrieve the data, but a standalone instument needs a few more things whose cost goes up as the number of channels. I have an HP 1630D that I got for $450 at a trash for cash auction in 1992. You can have it for the shipping cost.
If he doesn't want it and if it's in decent working order, I might take it off your hands. I'm planning on setting up some demos and having a logic analyzer in this range in which I had very little invested would be useful.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If he doesn't want it and if it's in decent working order, I might take it off your hands. I'm planning on setting up some demos and having a logic analyzer in this range in which I had very little invested would be useful.
Sold American

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't know what this means. Is it for still for sale or not? If so, how much would you need for shipping (FedEx Ground preferred, but pretty much anything other than USPS will do)?
It is what the tobacco auctioneer says when he sells a lot of tobacco to the American Tobacco Company. I don't know how to estimate the shipping cost, but I'll get back to you on that. PM me the address and it's yours for the shipping cost.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Hey @Analog Ground how fast and how many channels? Oh that’s pretty fast and lots of channels. The PC ones running opensource saleae is great but the high speed you need is a challenge for the lower end interfaces. Once they catch up with higher speed USB and more onboard memory I’m guessing they should run fine on a laptop. When you get up that fast there are also issues with inductance on the probe wires. the software has grown quite a bit and the protocol analysis is pretty impressive. Once they get the newer interfaces patched in it should give you at least 100M

This one claims 500M at 16 Sampling which should give you about 250M but I don’t know a thing about them. And it’s also pc. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_53

Last edited:

rupe01

Joined Oct 15, 2018

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
If $4.30 is too much there's the same one for $3.72... I have no idea how or why they do it so cheap.

$3.72 USB Logic Analyzer

This site is completely legitimate. I've been purchasing for years with no issues. If there is an issue with product, quality or delivery they back it up completely. Be prepared for a 10 days to 3 week delivery time... your mileage may vary depending on where you are.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015