LEDs and circuit board is hot

salai ezhil Mathi

Joined Jan 24, 2017
Hello,

I have removed a LED circuit from a LED light battern, cut the board where 4 LEDs were in series. Batten is similar to this: http://www.amazon.in/Eveready-18-Wa...TF8&qid=1492661407&sr=8-9&keywords=led+batten I have connected 4 SMD LEDs to 12 V Lead acid battery(volt meter reads 12.5V). they are very bright and the circuit board is very hot to touch. The voltage across each of them is 3.1 V. I connected a 18ohm resistor. circuit is like this.

battery +ve - resistor 18ohm - LED1 - LED2 - LED3 - LED4 - Battery -ve.

Is this ok or should I put the resistor between the LEDs. Is there any other way, simple way to reduce the hotness of the circuit board apart from heatsink.

Wingsy

Joined Dec 18, 2016
Hello,

I have removed a LED circuit from a LED light battern, cut the board where 4 LEDs were in series. Batten is similar to this: http://www.amazon.in/Eveready-18-Wa...TF8&qid=1492661407&sr=8-9&keywords=led+batten I have connected 4 SMD LEDs to 12 V Lead acid battery(volt meter reads 12.5V). they are very bright and the circuit board is very hot to touch. The voltage across each of them is 3.1 V. I connected a 18ohm resistor. circuit is like this.

battery +ve - resistor 18ohm - LED1 - LED2 - LED3 - LED4 - Battery -ve.

Is this ok or should I put the resistor between the LEDs. Is there any other way, simple way to reduce the hotness of the circuit board apart from heatsink.
I don't think you have enough headroom for the circuit to be stable. Just a minor change in battery voltage will result in a significant change in LED current. I would split the LEDs into 2 parallel circuits. Connect 2 LEDs in series with a 300 ohm resistor (1/4 watt or more), and connect the other 2 in series with another 300 ohm resistor. Use 300 ohm if you want 20ma, a typical LED operating current, or use 200 ohm if you want them really bright (30ma).

salai ezhil Mathi

Joined Jan 24, 2017
I don't think you have enough headroom for the circuit to be stable. Just a minor change in battery voltage will result in a significant change in LED current. I would split the LEDs into 2 parallel circuits. Connect 2 LEDs in series with a 300 ohm resistor (1/4 watt or more), and connect the other 2 in series with another 300 ohm resistor. Use 300 ohm if you want 20ma, a typical LED operating current, or use 200 ohm if you want them really bright (30ma).
small clarification Please. 300 ohm or 30 ohm?

there was one more circuit I saw that works with 12V lead acid battery. there were 3 LEDs connected with a 20 ohm resistor, all in series. what is your opinion on this circuit? will this work ?

Wingsy

Joined Dec 18, 2016
small clarification Please. 300 ohm or 30 ohm?

there was one more circuit I saw that works with 12V lead acid battery. there were 3 LEDs connected with a 20 ohm resistor, all in series. what is your opinion on this circuit? will this work ?
I need to remember not to offer advice at 2AM. :) You're right, 30 ohms would be more in order, and much higher power than 1/4 watt.

I think your 3-LED / 20 ohm circuit would be a much better solution than what you started with and better than my first response. You may have to do a little experimenting to get just what you want, but I'd go with the 3-LED/20 ohm circuit for starters. That 20-ohm will be dissipating around 1/3 watt so I'd use a 1-watt 20 ohm. You could probably just use your 18-ohm that you tried with 4 LEDs. In this case (18 ohms) your LED current would be about 0.15 amps. I would also expect it to get quite warm - your 3 LEDs will be dissipating about 1.4 watts.