LED Tail Light Brake Light help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tome10

Joined Aug 10, 2014
I have a 48 LED Puck for a Motorcycle. It had a 1157 connector on it that I chopped off for my project. It has a Yellow wire (Taillight), Red wire (Brake), and the Black wire (Negative). It works fine by itself.
However, I added a second LED strip. one of those that you cut to length, and solder the Red and Black wires too.
I put a 100Ohm Resistor to the Red and power the LED after the Resistor for Tail Light, and before the Resistor for Brake Light. It works fine by itself.

It's when I try connecting these two together, the Puck doesn't seem to function correctly. I think I've figured out that the Puck has a resistor built in that is interfering with my throwing everything together and working. If I add a 100Ohm Resistor to the Strip, everything magically starts working, but in the end I lose 100ohm of Light from the Strip. I've just thought about the idea of maybe the Resistor needs to go on the Negative side of the strip, but I'm not sure. How do I balance this Circuit, and not lose the 100Ohm of light from the Strip? And I watched a video about these strips, and the guy had a bunch of Diodes all over the place. Do I need Diodes in this scenario?
Also, I tried hooking these up in series, but that didn't work at all. I have the two Negative Wires hooked together, and the Tail Lights (Yellow) wires hooked together, and the Brake Lights (Red) hooked together.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sorry, your post has been moderated.

The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to allow discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised and however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will result in your thread being closed without question:
• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
• Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
• LEDs to mains
• Phone jammers
• Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
• Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Here is a site that may provide you with some assistance: Electro Tech Online

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.