LED screen replacement on remote control - where to find these?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
So I have a remote control for my heating/AC unit and it has a B&W LED screen that is cracked, rendering it useless. This makes the unit basically useless and finding a replacement has been difficult. I'm wondering if it is possible to replace the display. It's about 2" x 1.5" and it connects by a press on ribbon-like connection at the bottom of the display, it looks like exposed conductors along one axis of the display. The display pulls off easily and doesn't seem to have any locking feature to fix it in place.

IDK how these LED screens work, if they are unique to the control, or if they just display black dots on an X/Y axis.

Does anyone know how these things work and where I might be able to find a display?

Edit. I found a replacement remote, I didn't know they made universal remotes for these

Last edited:
I don't know if we are looking at the same thing, but it looks like a plain old segment LCD to me - they can be programmed to produce some nice "graphics", e.g.,

But at that low price for a replacement, you are in good shape - no?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Give up trying to find a replacement.
There are very few "stock" LCD displays of this type, 99% of the time they are custom designed for the product.

It's cheap and easy for a manufacturer to make a custom graphic to suit their design, so they do.

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I don't know if we are looking at the same thing, but it looks like a plain old segment LCD to me - they can be programmed to produce some nice "graphics", e.g.,

But at that low price for a replacement, you are in good shape - no?

Yeah I'm good on the remote but I'm left wondering about the type of display, which is liek the one in the picture you posted. What I'm wondering is if those images on the display are "hard printed" on the display or if they can display anything that the processor spits out. To me it looks like somehow the segments are printed on the display and can only display what is shown, not like a standard LCD that can display something like a movie. Like could the display above show 3 digits instead of 2, or just an entirely different arraingement of the numbers, if it can't I'd consider it "hard printed" (I'm sure that isn't the correct term).

Yeah I'm good on the remote but I'm left wondering about the type of display, which is liek the one in the picture you posted. What I'm wondering is if those images on the display are "hard printed" on the display or if they can display anything that the processor spits out. To me it looks like somehow the segments are printed on the display and can only display what is shown, not like a standard LCD that can display something like a movie. Like could the display above show 3 digits instead of 2, or just an entirely different arraingement of the numbers, if it can't I'd consider it "hard printed" (I'm sure that isn't the correct term).
I don't think I have seen anything "hard printed". That, to me, would mean something like a decal with a number of "dedicated" back lights that could selectively illuminate elements individually. On the other hand, newer technology, like Chip On Glass (COG) can, sometimes, look like what you are describing - see here, for example http://www.newhavendisplay.com/lcd-chiponglass-c-3.html Buying these off-the-shelf means that you pretty much will have to program a "driver" to interface with the controller and, the code to display what you want. There is also OLED.

But, I think they still come down to turning pixels on and off. Look at this LCD (which I don't think is COG): http://wiki.seeedstudio.com/I2C_LCD/
It has 128*64 Pixels (0.33* X 0.33mm pixels) on a 47.1 X 26.5mm screen and can produce some impressive graphics. In this example there is an I2C interface and an Arduino library making it well within the reach of "hobbyists".