LED Re-use Power Requirements

ddrdan

Joined Mar 3, 2019
I'm a novice electronics Tinker. I know what parts do, but, put them in a circuit and I'm a deer in the headlights. I've got a box full of LED boards (see pic) and I want to create a Flounder Gigging light by joining them.

1. They came wired to a dimming circuit with a 3 position (High / Med / Low) touch switch. One IC on the dimming board has no part #.
2. Power is a 120VAC power brick producing 13.2VDC @ 280mA.
3. I want to connect twelve (12) of them together and power it from a 12VDC 30Ahr battery.
4. I metered the power at the board and it is 13.14vdc on "High" setting. It fluctuates up and down on Med & Low so I'm assuming they used a PWM??
5. There are no resistors on the LED board. * LED's are powered in 2 sets of 4's. I'm assuming LED = 3.3v x 4 = 13.2v ??
6. I've powered a single board to a 12VDC 7.5Ahr battery and it worked fine. Tested it for 30 min.

How should I run power to them? Wire each board direct to power? Jump from board to board? Series & parallel them in 2's, 3's, 4's?
I really don't want to use the dimming circuit if that's possible. They'll be sealed in a 2" acrylic tube so I will be adding a continuous 1/8" thk aluminum heat sink behind all twelve.

Thanks in advance for any help or alternate ideas.

Led Dim Board.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

If they're designed to operate from 12V, you'd connect them all in parallel. If you wired them in series, the voltage divide and none will get the voltage it wants.