LED Lights powered by two 9V batteries

Alexa.Lumpkin.2022@midshi

Joined Jan 29, 2021
I am working on a project where I require to connect some LED's to 2 9 V batteries. The LED's have a working voltage of 12V DC and i have been trying to connect them to 2 9V batteries but they are still not lighting up. I dont know where to go from here.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Post a datasheet for the LEDs and a schematic of how you have them connected. We'll only ask for a picture of how you have it wired if we think there's a wiring problem.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Are your "some LEDs" actually an LED strip that has 3 LEDs in series with a current-limiting resistor and groups of these in a strip?
If you apply 18V from two series 9V batteries then the LEDs and/or the resistor will burn out!
If there are many LEDs then the little 9V batteries will be overloaded.

Alexa.Lumpkin.2022@midshi

Joined Jan 29, 2021
Welcome to AAC!

Post a datasheet for the LEDs and a schematic of how you have them connected. We'll only ask for a picture of how you have it wired if we think there's a wiring problem.
I was able to test my wiring with another strip and it works. I think it may be an overload/not enough power thing.

Gee, connecting something designed for 12V to 18V, what could possibly go wrong?

Was there, by any chance, a bright flash before they stopped working?

Bob
no. :(

Are your "some LEDs" actually an LED strip that has 3 LEDs in series with a current-limiting resistor and groups of these in a strip?
If you apply 18V from two series 9V batteries then the LEDs and/or the resistor will burn out!
If there are many LEDs then the little 9V batteries will be overloaded.
If I am understanding what you are saying than, no I only had one strip but the strip has 600 units. I think you are right about overloading the batteries.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I was able to test my wiring with another strip and it works. I think it may be an overload/not enough power thing.
Do you have a datasheet or information about what the LED current would be at 12V?

Fortunately for you, 9V batteries can't source much current or you risk burning out 12V devices when you connect them to 18V. If these are automotive LEDs, they'll be spec'ed to operate at up to 14V.