LED lights on poker table

Smack

Joined Jun 25, 2005
hi guys, new guy here! I'm a beginner when it comes to circuits (i've only had a couple classes on the basic stuff) I'm a 2nd year EE student, I would like to know if you folks would be able to guide me with a project that I had in mind...

This is a poker table that I built and I had the idea to incorporate LED lights to indicate who's turn it is to deal and who's turn it is to be the big blind and small blinds (in texas holdem)

This is the basic idea :

have a little button to push to change the lights (have them all rotate clockwise) I've included a small picture I hope i'm being clear.

I'd like to have a drawn circuit to give me an idea what this would look like.. I still can't figure out how I can get the LED to flow clockwise while pressing a button or a switch.

kensplace

Joined Jun 25, 2005
You could do it with logic chips, maybe a shift register, or perhaps more useful (and a heck of a lot more fun in the long term) would be to get into PIC programming. You can do this sort of thing with a small cheap pic chip, which you can program in either assembler or C. Worth a look in to these, as there are many tutorials out there that will guide you through step by step on how to flash leds...

Once you have a simple circuit working, its simply a matter of changing your program code to get it to do exactly what you want it to do.

McManCSU

Joined Jun 14, 2005
Hahaha, I myself have had that same idea. The way I thought I would design it would be to use D flip flops and have 8 states (number of people at table). You would have a switch for each person to flip on/off if they are/nt sitting down. If its on, the circuit for the state of the seat is on, otherwise it gets ignored (that way you can have different number of people playing). The button would shift to the next location after a button is pressed. However, this would only for for the dealer button.

If you wanted to get down and dirty with the small/big blinds you would have to program something like a PIC. I say this because the rotation of blinds get difficult when people start going out in the middle of their blinds. I personally decided to ignore the blinds completely; too many special cases.

Smack

Joined Jun 25, 2005
Originally posted by McManCSU@Jun 28 2005, 11:00 AM
Hahaha, I myself have had that same idea. The way I thought I would design it would be to use D flip flops and have 8 states (number of people at table). You would have a switch for each person to flip on/off if they are/nt sitting down. If its on, the circuit for the state of the seat is on, otherwise it gets ignored (that way you can have different number of people playing). The button would shift to the next location after a button is pressed. However, this would only for for the dealer button.

If you wanted to get down and dirty with the small/big blinds you would have to program something like a PIC. I say this because the rotation of blinds get difficult when people start going out in the middle of their blinds. I personally decided to ignore the blinds completely; too many special cases.
[post=8792]Quoted post[/post]​
ignore blinds completely what do you mean? all the special cases aside, I think this wouldn't be that complicated no?

McManCSU

Joined Jun 14, 2005
The main example I thought of, was a dead small blind. How would let the system know that? How about when 2 ppl go out, next dealer and next small blind? Trying to program that with only Logic Gates would be very difficult.

ignore blinds completely what do you mean? all the special cases aside, I think this wouldn't be that complicated no?
You cant ignore special cases. If you dont deal with them it wont work right when you need it to.

Smack

Joined Jun 25, 2005
Originally posted by McManCSU@Jun 29 2005, 08:46 AM
The main example I thought of, was a dead small blind. How would let the system know that? How about when 2 ppl go out, next dealer and next small blind? Trying to program that with only Logic Gates would be very difficult.
You cant ignore special cases. If you dont deal with them it wont work right when you need it to.
[post=8819]Quoted post[/post]​

well All I was saying is that whenever a player is removed from the table you could just have the dealer press a button to overide (make the blind leds flash or something) so everybody knows this is a "special case" and to pay attention.

then whenever its time to resume blinds as normal flick a switch... If its too complicated I don't think it would be worth it!!!

I never though lighting up a couple lights could be so complicated lol

McManCSU

Joined Jun 14, 2005
Thing is that ya, maybe you dont press the button to rotate the blinds/dealer on those special cases. But the big blind still moves; so thats why I said it would be complicated to use only logic gates.

You could pretty easily do the dealer button though. You just press it when it needs to pass. If a special case arrises, you just dont move the button. Dont give up on it, just maybe reconsider your plan. :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

NCGrimbo

Joined Aug 19, 2005
Smack,

I'm not sure if you are still interested in this. I just found this forum in a web search. I have a circuit designed that I think is what you are looking for and I am in the process of testing it. It rotates the blinds and the dealer button and bypasses the people not sitting at the table. If you're interested, let me know.

NC Grimbo