LED LIGHTING REPAIR

JimUSMC

Joined Sep 21, 2022
I could use some help on this repair. I accidentally cut my wife’s LED light wire and I’m in the doghouse. She paid to have thousands of lights stapled to this huge tree so replacing them is a major hassle. I can’t get them to work because I can’t figure out which wires go together. I have blown a dozen 125v fuses! AF9C2380-843E-4ACD-B35B-1406EE984A9C.jpegBFDC264E-FE45-4090-AC08-7BD82414F1D8.jpeg

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi jim,
Traced and colour coded the wire it may help someone to figure out the reconnections!!

What are the units that plug into those circular DC connectors, voltages etc ...?
E
BFDC264E-FE45-4090-AC08-7BD82414F1D8.jpeg

JimUSMC

Joined Sep 21, 2022
There are several separate strings of lights hooked together in series, on the tree. I looked at one of the receptacles on a string. The lights use a 3A 125v fuse.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
White LED bulbs run at about 3V each, and are polarized (usually the sockets only fit one way). There may be "dummy" bulbs in the string that just contain a resistor.
Two of the wires will be the Line and Neutral and connect through to the plugs and sockets at either end of the string: green and yellow in your picture; you'll see they don't connect to any of the LED bulbs (except at the start and finish of each series string). The third wire (marked black) will be the string of LEDs in series, so it should be easy to identify. As for the other two wires (L and N), those could be identified by trial and error; I'm pretty sure that if you get them wrong, this section of the string simply won't light up.