Learning from this Zener Circuit

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Thanks Guys:):)

This is awesome!!! Works perfectly. I am able to get my reading for my resistance and a visual aid too.

Thanks Ebeowulf17 and Narkelptk for the help. Much appreciated:):) Now I wonder if I can use a transistor:):) I will look into that do some reading up on it:):)
I ran out of time to draw it up yesterday, but I think I have a plan that accomplishes the same thing as the circuits above, using a regular single pole switch, two MOSFETs, and two resistors in place of each double-pole switch.

It's possible that the intrinsic body diodes within MOSFETs will allow leakage current which affects the resistance readings. If so, the polarity of the meter probes would matter when measuring resistance.

I don't think it could be done well with bipolar junction transistors (bjts) instead of MOSFETs because the voltage drops (Vce) would alter all the meter readings.

I can't promise anything, but I might have time to draw it up this afternoon on the train ride home.

beeson76

Joined Apr 19, 2010
Wow Ebeowulf17:):) You are going above and beyond what I expect you to do:):) I really really do appreciate the help that you have given to me though:):)

Thanks again,
Mike

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Wow Ebeowulf17:):) You are going above and beyond what I expect you to do:):) I really really do appreciate the help that you have given to me though:):)

Thanks again,
Mike
Here's my take on a MOSFET solution. The MOSFETs will effect the resistance readings a little, but it shouldn't be much. They maybe add a few ohms each compared to what a switch would do. I feel I should point out that I haven't tested, or even simulated this circuit. Although I certainly should be capable of drawing such a circuit right on the first try, I may have done something wonky; wouldn't be the first time.

upload_2019-7-9_17-5-22.png

Attachments