Learning Calculus

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Not to belabor the point, but I was reading and came across this quote which I thought was relevant to this thread.

L. Corry points out the following in "The influence of David Hilbert and Hermann Minkowski on Einstein's views over the interrelation between physics and mathematics", Endeavor 22 (3) (1998), 95-97.:

"In the early years of his scientific career, Albert Einstein considered mathematics to be a mere tool in the service of physical intuition. In later years, he came to consider mathematics as the very source of scientific creativity. A main motive behind this change was the influence of two prominent German mathematicians: David Hilbert and Hermann Minkowski."

So, even Einstein took some time to comprehend the full power of mathematics. When mathematics is used as a language, instead of just a tool, the mind is opened to new ways of thinking.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Not to belabor the point, but I was reading and came across this quote which I thought was relevant to this thread.

L. Corry points out the following in "The influence of David Hilbert and Hermann Minkowski on Einstein's views over the interrelation between physics and mathematics", Endeavor 22 (3) (1998), 95-97.:

"In the early years of his scientific career, Albert Einstein considered mathematics to be a mere tool in the service of physical intuition. In later years, he came to consider mathematics as the very source of scientific creativity. A main motive behind this change was the influence of two prominent German mathematicians: David Hilbert and Hermann Minkowski."

So, even Einstein took some time to comprehend the full power of mathematics. When mathematics is used as a language, instead of just a tool, the mind is opened to new ways of thinking.
Thanks for sharing the quote steveb, it reflects the true nature of mathematics. ;)

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Math is a great tool... but often when we build the tools to test it we find something totally different is really happening. Not that the math is wrong but the path to get to there in reality is different.
Well, if one accepts the idea that math is a language (of physics), as well as a tool, then it shouldn't be surprising that it can tell lies just as well as truths. :)

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There are aspects to math that don't compute. We take them for granted, but they are there.

I remember some examples in simple algebra where you could follow the rules, and wind up with two answers (one being infinity). Calculas defines this as approaching a point.

The PBS show Nova many decades ago had a show on mathimatics, I think the name was "Cracks in the foundation" or somesuch. Basically showing where math had problems that could come and bite us on the posterior, many of the like the example I mentioned above. All of the cases shown were fundimental postulates, that were used to build higher postulates that we have built our mathimatics on.

Like all human inventions (and it is a human invention) it isn't perfect, but it is one of our better attempts.