LDMOS transistors as inverters

Tako

Joined Oct 21, 2014
Hello,

I have the following question: is it possible to construct an inverter using LDMOS transistors when HV power supply is equal to 30 V and maximum VGS for LDMOS transistors is 5 V? Moreover, lower MV domain is 5 V.

See the attachment for visualization - problem section.

I can do following solution - see the attachment (solution section). However, doing it means constant current consumption and problems to turn on PMOS (apply 25 V on its gate). PMOS is turned on through 5R resistor.

Do you know if it is possible to construct such an inverter?

LDMOS inverter - full.png

Tako

Joined Oct 21, 2014
I see. However I have some remarks to your solution:

1. high state on the gate of PMOS transistors is obtained through 3k3 resistor. The time to obtain the high state is slowed down. This time is longer than in the solution proposed by me where high state is obtained through switch.
2. there is still power consumption for the low state (when bjt is on) and low state on the gate of PMOS transistor is obtained through 22k resistor. Thus this solution is the same as the one proposed by me.

Any other modifications / propositions?

Tako

Joined Oct 21, 2014
Isn't this what half bridge mosfet gate drivers do?
You mean that:

?

I'm curious how to do a level converter in my example using the solution from the picture above. I must leave the computer now, but I think I have an idea.

One remark: my problem / solution should be implemented as integrated circuit, NOT a discrete solution.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Kind of like your attachment, but without the optocoupler. I have another question for you about your circuit. Why are you using both a logic level and standard mosfet? There are logic level mosfets that will handle the 30V and switch with 5V.

Tako

Joined Oct 21, 2014
Kind of like your attachment, but without the optocoupler.
If the picture is what you meant (I understand that without optocoupler - it was just the first picture that I found) then please tell me how to make level shift while there is only 30 V and 5 V power domains. Level shift should give 25 - 30 V.

I have another question for you about your circuit. Why are you using both a logic level and standard mosfet? There are logic level mosfets that will handle the 30V and switch with 5V.
In my technology there is 5V domain where you have mosfets that operate normally, what means that they can handle VGS and VDS maximum voltages equal to 5 V. Then you have LDMOS transistors that can handle VDS = 30 V, but VGS = 5V only.

Tako

Joined Oct 21, 2014
Ok, the best solution for now is the one proposed by Alec_t - put additional switch into my solution for the resistor divider. There is still power consumption for output state high. Time to turn PMOS and power consumption through resistor divider is the trade-off.

Thanks for discussion. :)