LaTex / MathJax into the forum

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure that publication quality has much importance for forum posts. Why don't you explain further why you think this is important?

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Hi papabravo,
papabravo said:
Why don't you explain further why you think this is important?
Not so important, but I prefer (let's call it) MathJax style than the style of the editor of the forum, so if it's possible to use it, why not ? : )

Regards

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I cannot speak to the possibility of using it, but what in your opinion are the style advantages, other than your personal preference? I ask because it is not clear to me.

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Well, to be honest, it's not just about style, it more about how the forum editor works.

The editor of the forum does not accept

\begin{aligned}

just \begin{align}

Also, it doesn't behave regularly.
Look at this example:

Code:
[tex]\begin{align}
& y = f(x)\\
& y = {2\pi \over {\pi \over 7}}
\end{align}[/tex]
produces a strange output:

\(\begin{align}
& y = f(x)\\
& y = {2\pi \over {\pi \over 7}}
\end{align}\)

while a better editor would accept also

\begin{aligned}

and would produce a better and a more understable output:

Now, it was just a question, if it's possible to use MathJax into the forum, and if so, how.

: )

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I didn't realize the \over could be used for fractions, I thought the construction was \frac{x}{y} to produce

\(\frac{x}{y}\)
or
\(y\;=\;\frac{2 \pi}{\frac{\pi}{7}}\)

So the TeX processor on the forum is not a full implementation, but only a subset. I think it might be more reasonable to extend it rather than switch horses or worse, support multiple alternative methods.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There are two issues -- the language support and the rendering engine. These are, by and large, separate issues.

I'm not a big fan of the rendering engine that is used, but it's tolerable.

I wish the language support included more things, or at least was well-documented.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So I will have to use \frac xD
I don't know if that is the whole problem. The \over construction is familiar from OpenOffice, not from LaTeX. To do fractions I use

\frac{}{}

The numerator goes in the first set of curly brackets, and the denominator goes in the second. Easy Peasy.