Last questions on voltage dividers

pilotnmech

Joined Feb 26, 2005
I have a voltage divider that I tried to post, but it won't take it. It starts at the left where you tap off of the circuit 30mA at 300v, go through a resistor, tap off 10mA at 150v, go through another resistor, then all of the voltage is used up, and that end is grounded, go through another resistor (bleeder), tap off -3v at 0 A, go through another resistor, then tap off -5v at 0 A. The bias bleeder current is 60mA. The left side resistor is positive, and the right side (last) resistor is negative. How do I find the values of the resistors, and how can I have a negative voltage?

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Originally posted by pilotnmech@Apr 23 2005, 06:08 AM
I have a voltage divider that I tried to post, but it won't take it.
[post=7174]Quoted post[/post]​
Try again. A picture is worth a thousand words, and your words don't make sense.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Also, try right clicking your file and then "send to" a zipped folder and call up the file and attach as a .zip file. I think that method ultimately keept me from going insane trying to upload a file!

I'll try to give a "pre-answer" to your post thus far.

When looking at your voltage divider, the bleeder current flows through the entire series string. Each resistor drops X amount of voltage @ X amount of load current. So, mathematically the value of individual R would be;

(Voltage drop across individual R) / (Bleeder current + Load current through individual R)

Here's a spread sheet method of your voltage divider problem. When loaded, use "Ctrl + F" and select the "Go to" tab and type in A470 for the cell reference to voltage dividers. Try pluging in your numbers and see if helps at all - just a thought anyway.

I for one cant really comment on the negative voltages without seeing the circuit.

NOTE: You may have better luck saving the download and then opening it, rather than opening it directly from the download.

dragan733

Joined Dec 12, 2004
A simple bmp picture occupies 80Mb!!
You scanned the drawing with a very big resolution 5000x5456 pixels and with 24 bits color. You had to scan the drawing with a resolution for example: 300x300 pixels and with scan mode: lineart and then the bmp picture will occupy only some kb.

R4=Ur4/Ib=-2/60mA=33,33 Ω
R3=Ur3/Ib=-3/60mA=50 Ω
Ir1=150/R1
Ir2=150/R2
Ir1=Ir2-10
150/R1=150/R2-10
R1*R2/(R1-R2)=15
IA=Ir1+30=150/R1+30
If we know IA, then one can calculate R1 and R2

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Yea, try again pilotnmech. I thought it was just my crappy old compaq but it must have been as dragan733 stated above.

dragan733

Joined Dec 12, 2004
pilotnmech needs not scan again the drawing

Here is the schematic drawn with ASCII

|...............|................|...............|...............|
|+300V.....|+150V......|0V..........|-3V...........|-5V
|30mA.......| 10mA.......|..............|0mA.........|0mA
|...............|.................|..............|................|
|...R1=?....|...R2=?......|...R3=?....|...R4=?...|
|--/\/\/\---+--/\/\/\-----+---/\/\/\--+---/\/\/\--+
|A............B.............C.|............... D.............E
| |......................GND ---
| |
| +

pilotnmech

Joined Feb 26, 2005
I see how R3 and R4 are figured. Since there is no current tap at R3 and R4 the same .06A goes through both of them. Besides that there is no way to figure what R1 and R2 should be? Is there really such a thing as negative voltage, or does it only read negative because of the placement of my leads? Would there have to be a battery at the bottom of R4 that isn't shown?

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
I see how R3 and R4 are figured. Since there is no current tap at R3 and R4 the same .06A goes through both of them. Besides that there is no way to figure what R1 and R2 should be?
Your diagram is either not complete or is erroneous. (or both)
It has 3 connections. One each at points A, C and E.
The following is based upon that.

The 60mA through R3 has to come from somewhere. The only place it can come from is point E, yet you have shown zero current from the -5V. This is impossible.
The same 60mA has to go somewhere too. There is a 40mA discrepancy between it and the sum of the currents at A and B.
If your figures for current at A and B are correct, then R1 is 7k5.
Is there really such a thing as negative voltage 
Yes.
Would there have to be a battery at the bottom of R4 that isn't shown?
You have two voltage sources in series. It doesn't matter whether either or both of them is a battery or a "power supply."

pilotnmech

Joined Feb 26, 2005
David Bridgen, please don't answer any of my posts again. I'm sorry that you think you are a supreme being and don't want to be bothered by mere mortals. I would doubt you have many friends.

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by pilotnmech@Apr 28 2005, 02:47 AM
David Bridgen, please don't answer any of my posts again. I'm sorry that you think you are a supreme being and don't want to be bothered by mere mortals. I would doubt you have many friends.
[post=7324]Quoted post[/post]​
I think you are being unfair to David. Far from thinking he is a 'supreme being', he has given a great deal of help to people on this, and several other, forums. Experts and newbies alike have all benifited from his knowledge.

I tried to download your image in ADC without success, and I think David probably had no luck either and was giving you direct answers to your questions - as he saw them - based on dragan733's ASCII diagram.

Would you have preferred that he waffled on like a politician with meaningless drivel that sounded nice?