Laptop - ultrabook power cable

ultrakewlpower222

Joined Mar 11, 2018
Hello,

I have an intel Ultrabook, the power connector has been faulty for some time, only working when in a certain position.

I verified that the problem is in the cable itself, after it stopped working completely i took it apart, I cannot get a new cable in time for a project that needs finishing, so I need to make this work,

I have the connector and three wires - two running on the outside and one thats in the middle. could someone explain exactly where each of these should be connected to, and what the easiest way to get power into my laptop would be. (This is more about confirming I am on the right track).

The inside of the connector is plastic, I assume the larger middle wire inserted into this plastic and the two other wires were connected to the outside of the connector?.

With limited tools I need to know the practical steps to get this working short term.

I would guess I would need to remove the plastic inside to fit in the central connector, then solder or tape the two outer wires to the outside of the connector?

Thanks.

20180311_195359.jpg 20180311_195433.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don’t think you can salvage that connector. You can buy a new one if you can specify the outer and inner diameters, and the length. The inner diameter may be hard to determine because it looks like yours may have overheated and the plastic melted. With some research though, you should be able find the exact specs for the jack you need, including the polarity for hooking it up.

ultrakewlpower222

Joined Mar 11, 2018
Hi, Thank you for the reply.

It's a 2.1mm connector part of a hipro hp-a0502r3d power supply (pic attached).

I think the main internal wite was attached to the outside of the 2.1mm connector.

The connector goes into the laptop fine, is there some way I can "Macgyver" this together for a short term fix?.

Would it be as simple as attaching the 3 wires to the jack? If so could someone tell me where each wire went to?. (I guess this would be specific to this connector?)

Or am I trying to do the impossible here? :).

Thanks20180312_05081555.jpg

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Usually the white wire will be connected to the center pin, and the braid, the other 2wires, connected to the outside.
Note the diagram on the power supply near the "REV A" lable. Before plugging it into your PC, measure the volts to make sure it is correct!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree that the white wire probably went to the center and is positive compared to the shield. Easy to check that. You said there were two outer conductors but aren't they really the same conductor? Again, easy to check with a multimeter. We're assuming you have one - is that true?

The problem with the jack is that it's supposed to slide over a thin center pin inside the female port on your device. It's possible that pin has even become damaged, if that jack can be inserted. It looked to me like the space where that center pin would enter the jack was clogged with yellow plastic that had melted. I've seen it happen before and that's why I was looking for it.

ultrakewlpower222

Joined Mar 11, 2018
Thank you for the helpful replies.

The plastic inside could have been melted, or just damaged - I am not sure.

I managed to remove the plastic from the inside of the connector, and indeed there was an internal metal connector linking to the main pin.

The small metal tip on the white power lead broke off, and there was some damage internally while removing the plastic from the connector.

I finally got the white power cable inside the housing roughly where it was meant to be, however despite making sure it made a connection to the pin I did not get any power.

I would have thought as long as the bulk of the power cable (which was carrying the correct power) made a connection to the pin it should have shown some sign of life?.

I placed the outer cable aside as it seems this was just a protective cable/wire with no active role?.

I guess I need to accept this connector has well and truly seen better days. it's also possible as mentioned the internal jack on the laptop side has an intermittent fault as well.

I did try previously to test the connector output (before I "dismantled" it. however the connector end is so narrow none of the meter probes were able to fit inside.

Thanks again