frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; i have an HP Pavilion dv-5 1254 and has a Power adapter
Input:AC100-240V Output: DC 19.0V 4.74A 90W 7.4mm*5.0mm

can i use this: Dell Adapter AC Input Voltage:100 ~ 240V 50 ~ 60Hz
DC Output Voltage: 19.5V 4.62A 90W 7.4mm 5.0mm

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I would if I didn't have the correct HP part.
Me too - with the caveat that some newer computers interrogate their power supplies to ensure that they are the one specified for the computer. I just ran into this issue on a new Dell Inspirion 7000 - a bug in a BIOS update caused it to think that the wrong supply was connected and it wouldn't let the computer boot.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
On thing to be very careful about is the polarity of the plug. Get that wrong and bad things are going to happen.

I don't know about recent laptops, but I've had several laptops of each polarity. But these were also from the days before almost all laptop brands settled on ~19 VDC for the input voltage (several of my laptops were 16 V and possibly lower), so they might have settled on the same plug polarity in the process (it would sure have been nice if they had settled on a standard plug, period).

If they query the supply, then a universal probably won't work.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree. Double and triple check the polarity, then just try it. My money is on it working fine. The ones that checked for a chip had a third conductor, didn't they? Anyway I haven't seen many like that lately.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
On thing to be very careful about is the polarity of the plug. Get that wrong and bad things are going to happen.

I don't know about recent laptops, but I've had several laptops of each polarity. But these were also from the days before almost all laptop brands settled on ~19 VDC for the input voltage (several of my laptops were 16 V and possibly lower), so they might have settled on the same plug polarity in the process (it would sure have been nice if they had settled on a standard plug, period).

If they query the supply, then a universal probably won't work.
Modern laptops quirky the power supply before allowing it to connect. Dell paid a major set of lawsuits from bad batch of OEM power supplies causing fires (about 2005 or 2006). They ended up being found guilty by lower courts in cases where their supplies were not even used. Now, the dells quirky the power supply to make sure it is Dell. If not, the Laptop will be powered but batteries will not charge.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Modern laptops query the power supply before allowing it to connect. Dell paid a major set of lawsuits from bad batch of OEM power supplies causing fires (about 2005 or 2006). They ended up being found guilty by lower courts in cases where their supplies were not even used. Now, the dells query the power supply to make sure it is Dell. If not, the Laptop will be powered but batteries will not charge.
I did not know that.. fits though. Our new Dell thinks its a big laptop/tablet as the situation warrants.

But to keep relevant to topic, maybe you just can't plug any old adapter into your computer - who knew?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Modern laptops quirky the power supply before allowing it to connect. Dell paid a major set of lawsuits from bad batch of OEM power supplies causing fires (about 2005 or 2006). They ended up being found guilty by lower courts in cases where their supplies were not even used. Now, the dells quirky the power supply to make sure it is Dell. If not, the Laptop will be powered but batteries will not charge.
"quirky the power supply"???

I first assumed it was a typo, but you used it twice. Was it just a typo both times and you meant "query the power supply", or is this actually a phrase that's used?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

I first assumed it was a typo, but you used it twice. Was it just a typo both times and you meant "query the power supply", or is this actually a phrase that's used?
Yes, meant quirky - oops, iPad keeps sending weird letters to screen and correcting me with its best guess. The registration/alignment of my ipad is off since it fell off of a table. I don't know if it can be retrained or not. I'll have to google that. I did mean query.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

I was trying to find the key combination that caused it. Then my wide just pointed out that I mix up i and e on the keyboard when I am tired - and a few other key combinations that are in the same finger of opposite hands. I don't remember a brain injury in the past but that would be the kind of theng a vrain would yend to forgeh.