Lamp Step Control

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I have an idea, and the question is Does someone already make a product to do this?

Garage ceiling light is bright enough for most things, but sometimes I'd like a lot more. I don't want to run a new line to a second wall switch, or have a pull string. And, I've got a basement full of parts.

The idea is to have a controller sitting on the switched AC to the existing light. If it sees an AC dropout of less than 1 second, it enables a TRIAC or SSR to power a second light downstream.

Turn on switch - original light
Quickly turn switch off and on again - both lights
Turn switch off and on slowly - original light

Off is off - the original light goes off when flicking the switch to enable the second light. The controller has enough energy storage to keep its logic alive for one second. If power is off longer than that, it comes up reset (second light is off).

Add a 4017 and some jumpers, and the same technique could run up to 9 lights in a string.

The 4017 part probably is too complex for a commercial product, but I would think a single stage controller would be pretty handy, particularly in spaces like a garage or basement. I've got the circuit worked out; my question is if something already does this?

Thanks.

ak
Lamp-Step-Control-1-c.gif

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The Heath brand motion sensor on my front porch light has a quick-flick function which keeps the light on until the next sunrise. I'm not sure this is of any use to you, but your idea does exist in commercial form.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
My PIR security floodlight does exactly this, but I find it a nuisance because the slightest hiccup in the mains supply causes the light to lock on and run up a big electricity bill :( .

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
My PIR security floodlight does exactly this, but I find it a nuisance because the slightest hiccup in the mains supply causes the light to lock on and run up a big electricity bill :( .
I used to worry about this for my security light. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED and now I don't worry about them being on overnight.