Lamp Dimming issue help pls

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Darth_Vader_pixel, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Darth_Vader_pixel

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 14, 2017
    My lamp became really dim after I spill water on it
    It'd be great if you guys could help me figure out what exactly went wrong so that I can fix it?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I see a couple of inductors and some LEDs. That probably means it's a PWM LED dimmer. The brain chips are on the underside of the board. See if you can read the numbers on them.

3. drc_567

Dec 29, 2008
    Is there some sort of adjustment knob .... off/on ... intensity? Get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner. The idea is to purge water and moisture from key components. Spray liberally all suspicious components and the boards. Rotate knobs, switch switches. ... Allow to dry.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The only valid use of WD-40 is to remove moisture.
    You can try that, but then I like GC brand Jiffy Bath because it has a silicone lubricant in it.

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I like using IPA, isopropyl alcohol, for removing water from electrical components. You need to find the higher percentage stuff, 91% IPA I think it is. The lower percentage 70% rubbing alcohol won't evaporate as quickly and take the water with it.

That said, I don't see much sign of water or water damage. Could the damage be out of the picture? Or, it's possible Q1 bought the farm.