Kindle privacy issue.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
Lately I've been reading on Kindle and it is very rarely connected to the Internet, but I've been noticing ads and suggestions on social media which seem to have connection to the words I look up and the content I read on it, I have no idea how this is happening.

Does anyone know how I can configure ESP module to deauthenticate Kindle from connecting to any network. I don't want to log into the ESP module's web interface and configure Kindle's MAC address, I want to load Kindle MAC address with the firmware of ESP module and make it deathenticate Kindle from connecting to any network. How can I do this?

I tried covering Kindle's PCB antenna with aluminium foil on 3 sides I could but it was still able to connect to WiFi, there was only marginal reduction in signal strength. Any other suggestions to prevent it from connecting to anything?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There are two sides to the connection. If you download something to your Kindle, not only does the Kindle have it, but the site you got it from knows you got it. Are you sure it's not the other end of the connection that is leaking your information?

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
If you prevent the Kindle from connecting to any network… you may render the device useless.

Just saying
How? It is an offline device, it already comes with dictionaries and allows me to download dictionaries, and I can connect it to PC to transfer files to it and from it.

There are two sides to the connection. If you download something to your Kindle, not only does the Kindle have it, but the site you got it from knows you got it. Are you sure it's not the other end of the connection that is leaking your information?
I can't control the other end of the communication so I'm trying to to control what I can.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The Kindle (all models) WiFi can be turned off.
Your router may include the ability to blacklist a MAC address.
You could forget the WiFi network and not provide a password.
Using a deauth gadget seems to be the least sensible approach.

As an aside, I am not convinced the Kindle is providing marketing data to anyone. But, you could sniff the kindle connection and see if it is actually phoning home with that information.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
How? It is an offline device, it already comes with dictionaries and allows me to download dictionaries, and I can connect it to PC to transfer files to it and from it.

I can't control the other end of the communication so I'm trying to to control what I can.
I meant, how would you download new content?

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
I never had any of these issues with a book. Free from the local library. Support available from friendly knowledgable librarians.
Thanks for this suggestion, even before the CoVID pandemic, I became conscious of hygiene, so I opted an e-reader. I can use books and papers during waking hours but when I have to use them in bed before sleeping, I become conscious of the people who might have used it, what kind of things they might have touched while using it and I suspect things, it was not good for sleep. Because when I'm sleeping, I don't know if I'll put my fingers in my mouth, etc, and I don't want to put dirty fingers in my mouth.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Thanks for this suggestion, even before the CoVID pandemic, I became conscious of hygiene, so I opted an e-reader. I can use books and papers during waking hours but when I have to use them in bed before sleeping, I become conscious of the people who might have used it, what kind of things they might have touched while using it and I suspect things, it was not good for sleep. Because when I'm sleeping, I don't know if I'll put my fingers in my mouth, etc, and I don't want to put dirty fingers in my mouth.
Covid is a respiratory disease transmitted by aerosols of breath or spittle into lungs and possibly eyes or other mucous membranes. The viruses live on porous surfaces for up to a few days at most.
There is little more than anecdotal evidence of anyone catching Covid from touching a surface and then infecting themselves. Nothing from groceries, books, doorknobs, etc. But, if you have your own phobias you want to use to calm yourself, that's up to you - I'm not going to judge, I have my own.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
Well...maybe you could wash your hands before going to sleep.
I want to read something and fall asleep, if after reading something, then I get out of bed to wash my hands and then try to fall asleep, the physical activity might actually make me less sleepy.

Covid is a respiratory disease transmitted by aerosols of breath or spittle into lungs and possibly eyes or other mucous membranes. The viruses live on porous surfaces for up to a few days at most.
There is little more than anecdotal evidence of anyone catching Covid from touching a surface and then infecting themselves. Nothing from groceries, books, doorknobs, etc. But, if you have your own phobias you want to use to calm yourself, that's up to you - I'm not going to judge, I have my own.
People also take books and papers into the toilet and read it there, who knows what kind of things might contaminate books and papers.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In that case, maybe you can rub it down with rubbing alcohol as part of getting ready for bed. Come to think of it, these e-readers are usually personal devices, so doing once or once in a great while might be plenty of protection.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I haven't been to a public library in the last 30 years, (mainly because I live in a country in which I don't understand the language :)

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
In that case, maybe you can rub it down with rubbing alcohol as part of getting ready for bed. Come to think of it, these e-readers are usually personal devices, so doing once or once in a great while might be plenty of protection.
I actually washed it and damaged the light of the Kindle, the connector developed some black things on it, I broke the light connector trying to remove the black thing on pins with needle, so I removed the light connector on PCB, apart from light, everything else is working fine on Kindle.

Maybe in the future after getting a microscope, I might try to solder the ribbon cable with LEDs directly to the PCB, I'll hopefully make a thread here documenting my progress.