kicad - what is going on?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Trying to get up and running on kicad. I've volunteered to help with a newly formed FIRST Robotics club. I'm sure they will need to use an EDA so my choices were Open Source: Altium Circuit Maker and KiCad. Overall impression so far, I don't like either... but it may be a matter of figuring out their terminology and steps to getting what I want. I don't like the snap, wish it had a fine snap feature.

Altium - Pro great package with Cloud storage and sharing. Con - doesn't work without internet connection
KiCad - This seems to be the one to use

I don't use either so I'm getting myself familiar with them... I've managed to get this for. I have no idea why KiCad got rid of a thru hole in this situation:

1575652210928.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't use the latest build of Kicad due to PC constraints, but the pad will be designated in the original Foot Print module, if needed use the footprint editor to confirm.
Max.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I hate most of these software... it freezes up but alt to another screen and back and it's fine again... stupid dumb stuff that wastes time... ugh...

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Thanks Max, the tutorials help... I'll follow along first. I installed kicad way back and it's 4.05. Maybe it's time for an update. Also looks like I need to learn the shortcuts... There are easier EDA out there that work very well with more intuitive drag and select... I wish Alitium Circuit Maker allowed edits offline...

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
oh never mind, the glitching is Altium, I've been trying both in parallel. I'm running Windows 10 x64 on a decent desktop, I have no issues with speed even on 3d cad.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I just downloaded 5.13 stable release... it is much better... things work better in this build! I think I can like it... but I still have my reservations... can I do 4 layer boards? Oooh, they have improved the interface... it's so much better. For instance, I don't need to click W each time... once I'm there I just need to click to start and click to end.... love it.

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
It’s for the First robotic club, I don’t like the size limitation for the free version of eagle. I have other software I use, this is to prepare so I can help them get going in an eda in case they need boards for their robots.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It’s for the First robotic club, I don’t like the size limitation for the free version of eagle. I have other software I use, this is to prepare so I can help them get going in an eda in case they need boards for their robots.
First robotic club, cool. If you haven't mentored a team before you should love it. Some of the guys at work helped to start the local First team years ago. We donated a new laptop and some robot training sets to the local tech high-school.
https://pamplinmedia.com/component/content/article?id=45931

This years team has my kid on the programming team. They were invited to the Family Day to give demos with last years robot.
IMG_20190921_161202067_HDR.jpg

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
My first go at mentoring. I’m looking forward to it. These guys have a lot of resources, they are lucky to have such a great sponsor.