Kicad users?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Anyone proficient in Kicad, I initially thought this a great program, but I have a couple of glitches I cannot seem to overcome, using a stable BZR4022 version?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A couple of weird issues, one I can probably work around, but I cannot draw a board outline, when I attempt it I get a block move menu, no matter what the settings, edge cuts layer set, I have tried it on two PC's with same result.
Max.

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Did you try to "Select 'Edges pcb' as the active layer and use the 'Add graphic line or polygon' tool to
trace the edge, clicking at the position of each vertex and double-clicking to finish the outline."

I've been using KiCad for years and have zero issues with it. All the elementary operations are covered in the help manual.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Did you try to "Select 'Edges pcb' as the active layer and use the 'Add graphic line or polygon' tool to
trace the edge, clicking at the position of each vertex and double-clicking to finish the outline."
Yes to both, it is called Edge.Cuts in the version I have, which is supposed to be the last Stable version.
It also occurs with Copper Fill Zone.

I've been using KiCad for years and have zero issues with it. All the elementary operations are covered in the help manual.
I even followed two of the simple board Tutorials step by step and both ended the same, it is frustrating as otherwise I like the program, I thought it maybe the install had a problem, this is why I ran it on two separate PC's?
What is the build version you are using?
Max.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Sorry forgot to write down my version number (it was a little later then than the one you list) before grabbing ther latest and greatest (Mar-04 2015 BZR "unknown") and it too works just fine as I described.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The later ones require a Helper-Script build sequence, I tried the very latest via the script but that failed to load? It stumps me why the latest stable version does not work for me?
I would like to use the one that Cern is involved with, at this point I am thinking of reviving my old registered version of Orcad (DOS ver!) I know that works fine.:cool:
Max.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I've never experienced that (I'm using BZR4022 as well).

Do you have a link to the tutorials you went through? I'll see if I can reproduce the problem...

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I only get a move block when I click-drag-release the mouse.

To draw a line between points A & B try this: click/release for point A, move mouse, click/release for point B.