Keypad with 1-Wire interface

Martino Chiro

Joined May 1, 2015
I have a blackbox with 1-Wire interface (the same as that of the Dallas iButton)to be used with various type of sensors.
I'd like to connect a little keypad (with a minimum of 5 keys) to my blackbox but i have not found any product (or DIY) that shows a keypad with 1-Wire bus interface.
Does anyone know a keypad with 1-Wire interface ?

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have a blackbox with 1-Wire interface (the same as that of the Dallas iButton)to be used with various type of sensors.
I'd like to connect a little keypad (with a minimum of 5 keys) to my blackbox but i have not found any product (or DIY) that shows a keypad with 1-Wire bus interface.
Does anyone know a keypad with 1-Wire interface ?
Use a resistor ladder..
You will need an ADC or other voltage reading capability to decode...

image.jpg

http://www.technoblogy.com/show?NGM

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thank you GopherT
but the ADC output is compatible with the 1-Wire bus interface ?
You need A2 wire from this keypad schematic to go to the ADC INPUT on your Microcontroller. Then, in code on the micro, occasionally read the value of the pin that is connected to this A2 wire.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Oh wait - you mean a datastream (digital communication bus?).

Then, no. This is one wire for a stand-alone. Good luck. I do not know of any keyboards/keypads that use one wire. That is only used in things like rtc and temp sensors as far as I know.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
Use a resistor ladder..
http://www.technoblogy.com/show?NGM
Very interesting concept which I had never seen before. Still, it requires some careful decoding because some values are pretty close to each other. Plus any resistance in the contacts will give false readings. But it is ingenious and simple.

For reliability I would go with DTMF or something of the sort.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
Use a resistor ladder..
This makes me think that a 1/n keyboard could supply values more evenly spaced and easier to decode like
150, 200, 270, 400, 560, 800, 1200, 1600, 2200, 3200, 4700, 6400, 8600, 12000, 15000

OTOH I cannot think of a really simple way to decode. Maybe a series of voltage comparators.

The problem I always find in these projects it that it is impossible to find weatherproof keypads at any reasonable price and it is even impossible to build your own. These days it is just cheaper and simpler to buy contactless card or similar things.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
So everything is possible, the important thing is how to find the key point, now the keypad input can be used one wire to input, and the input/output data can be used one wire too, what else need to use one wire to do the communication?

Martino Chiro

Joined May 1, 2015

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thank you all for the answers,
the AN-4849 shown by "Blocco a spirale" is closest to my idea of 1_Wire bus keypad.
It seems strange to me that there is not a product ready to use on the market, or maybe
I have not googled enough on the Internet.
"1-wire" is a licensed technology interface. Not widely accepted, yet. But all the building blocks needed should be available.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If you want to connect the 1 wire keyboard to something then you will need a mcu. The one wire protocol is not a simple one. The search algorithm is horrendous.

I wrote some code that works on the Pic. It should work on other mcus with a little modification. If you are interested let me how. I also have the one wire data sheet around here some where.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thinking about it I am not sure how a keyboard would work under one wire. The mcu would probably use an external interrupt pin. But beyond that not sure how it would work. Might make for a fun project if I can lay my hands on one of those keyboard.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Oh I see you need a one wire interface on a keyboard. Not sure how that would work again But for starters you could build one. A mcu would be needed.

What does this "blackbox" do? What is it?

As you mentioned one wire is for sensors so you could probably hook it up to something like a DS1822 temperature sensor.

What I know about one wire is that the host queries the one wire device. You will probably nee to make your "black box" constantly poll the keyboard.

Last edited:

Martino Chiro

Joined May 1, 2015
Thinking about it I am not sure how a keyboard would work under one wire. The mcu would probably use an external interrupt pin. But beyond that not sure how it would work. Might make for a fun project if I can lay my hands on one of those keyboard.
Thank You for the answer,
my blacknox is based on a Freescale KINETIS K10 @ 100MHz processor, and it offer some gtraditional interfaces (RS-232, RS-485 and a 1-Wire bus).
You are right, the mcu (Freescale) should poll my keyboard at least at 0,5Hz to have an acceptable response time.
Where is the data sheet you quote in post 14 ?