Just switched to fiber from DSL

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I had DSL for years. Verizon has been after me to switch to their fiber network. I finally decided to make the switch.

Getting 83M down and 91M up. Paid for 75/75.

So anyone notice how fast I am posting now? ;)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
My wife works for the local telecoms company so we have a pretty good package now.

I forget the actual upper speed limit we have but I know I downloaded the latest episode of Doctor Who which was ~1100 Megs in less than 5 minutes. :D

I can live with that speed given just a few years ago that big of download would have been a near all night thing. :cool:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My wife works for the local telecoms company so we have a pretty good package now.

I forget the actual upper speed limit we have but I know I downloaded the latest episode of Doctor Who which was ~1100 Megs in less than 5 minutes. :D

I can live with that speed given just a few years ago that big of download would have been a near all night thing. :cool:
Beats the good old days of my acoustic coupled modem at 300 baud. :) And using my self designed Rs232 interface on my Atari 800.

And that would beat when I would drag the TI Silent 700 with acoustic coupled modem and thermal paper output.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I had DSL for years. Verizon has been after me to switch to their fiber network. I finally decided to make the switch.

Wow, now you can stream 14 movies at the same time.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Yes, really I can perceive the speed. I am reading them much faster than before SP. But I understand less...:p

I do not want to impress you but me, I am on 1M since more than 3 years now! :D

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Are you noticing a difference in the speed of my posts?
That first post came through so fast the first time, I missed your question about the speed of posts - so, yes, much faster.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the demonstration of blazing speed. My provider just jacked up the price, so I need to go shopping. Yes, Verizon wants me to buy FIOS, but 1 meg up and 10 megs down is fast enough to suit me. I just don't want to continue paying $100 per month for that speed.:mad:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'm totally on 4G wireless, since I'm living away from home. I pay for 10Gb/month, and use about 9.9. What kills my monthly allotment is all the damn unsolicited videos that download while I'm browsing, or reading the news. I probably only need less than half of what I end up using to do what I want.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm totally on G4 wireless, since I'm living away from home. I pay for 10Gb/month, and use about 9.9. What kills my monthly allotment is all the damn unsolicited videos that download while I'm browsing, or reading the news. I probably only need less than half of what I end up using to do what I want.
If you have Verizon, they have a free upgrade to 12 Mb/month. New format. Our bill did not change and they did not change the contract. They just want everyone on the 6, 12 or 18Mb plans. It is 12 Mb to share with the family plan - my wife uses zero, my kids share the 12, I try not to use a phone.