Just starting out. Making a simple 3.5mm audio switch.

TheSpicer

Joined Feb 8, 2017
I'd like to create an A/B audio switch: 2 inputs, 1 output. It's for switching between two sources, going to the line-in on a small stereo. I have a DPDT toggle switch, two 3.5mm jacks, one 3.5mm male end (from RCA), and a small project box.

From searching here and reading an Instructable tutorial, I've learned a little. But I still have some questions.
  1. Each 3.5mm jack has 3 terminals. I know which one is ground, and I believe that these terminals should be wired together with the ground of the RCA line. Is this correct? The grounds from the RCA seem very, very fine if so - just a few strands. (I can pick up another jack, but I liked the idea of the 3.5mm line running out of the box.)
  2. I have a multimeter. How do I test to find out how things should be wired? e.g. which setting on multimeter, what points touch which terminals, what reading I'm looking for. Please be specific. :)
  3. Is there a specific kind of wire/line I should be using here? I understand hum/buzz can be an issue.
  4. Right now, I'm planning on just mounting the switch and jacks to the box and connecting the wires. I know nothing about breadboards... but would that be helpful here? I'm willing to learn.
  5. My solder joints are fat and ugly. Got a favorite resource for improving this? Is there a go-to soldering iron for projects like this? I feel like I need a finer tip.
Thanks in advance for your help!