Just in case I don't post any more...

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
... I'd like to thank the owners of AAC for providing this place I've frequented for a number of years now, and enabling me to interact with people all over the planet.

Thanks to the Moderators for keeping the "riff-raff" at bay, and for your friendship.

And thanks to everyone else for sharing your ideas, friendship and cameraderie; it's been a lot of fun.

I haven't mentioned it to anyone on here before now, because I didn't want to cause any undue alarm.

I am blessed with high cholesterol, as my father was, and so was his father. I have a couple of blocked arteries in my heart; it's been giving me difficulties for months now. In the morning, I'm going in the hospital for a cardiac catheterization & angioplasty, to hopefully get those blockages cleared. I'm scheduled to go in at 10AM. The procedure is supposed to take less than an hour, and I may be released as soon as 4pm, or a total of six hours. Sometimes, they will keep a patient overnight, but cardiac catheterization is basically outpatient surgery nowadays.

I'm really quite fortunate that they have advanced this particular type of surgery as far as it has been. Angioplasty was conceived of in 1964, but the first experimental balloon wasn't made until 1974. The procedure was approved just in time to save my Dad back in 1985. I had to have it performed on myself some 10 years later, when I suddenly found myself not being able to get up off the floor.

Having gone through it before, I'm no stranger to the procedure. At worst, there are moments of moderate discomfort, you have to stay lying flat for hours on end, and I wound up with a rather large and nasty looking bruise on my inner thigh that took weeks to go away.

But, they have improved the procedure even more in the intervening years, and I look forward to even less discomfort than the last time. I'll be very glad to have this procedure behind me, as I have had very little energy, trouble sleeping, and have not been thinking clearly for several months. This should take care of all these issues.

Even with such well-established procedures, there are always things that can go wrong. I'm not anticipating any difficulties, and I should be back at the latest within several days.

But if I'm not, you'll have an idea what happened.

Best wishes to all for a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year, and many more to come.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sgt, wishing you a successful op. You will be in our thoughts all day and we're all rooting for you.
Speedy recovery.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Thoughts and prayers for you Wookie.

You'll be alright, Marines don't have permission to die. :)

In the worse case, it's been an honor knowing and conversing with you, post where you'll be and I'll send some flowers.

Once this is all blown over, you'll only be absent a couple hours a day for the PT you've been putting off, and all will be right with the world.

Zazoo

Joined Jul 27, 2011
I haven't been a member long, but even in my short time here it has become clear that you are a very important part of AAC. I'm sure you'll be back to offer even more of your knowledge and wisdom. Good luck and good wishes!

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
... I'll be very glad to have this procedure behind me, as I have had very little energy, trouble sleeping, and have not been thinking clearly for several months. This should take care of all these issues.
SgtWookie,

I really don't know you personally. I only know of you, - much the same way I know of Hercules. I wish you strength and good luck in this next challenge.

If I someday achieve the level of energy, clarity of thought, and productivity you now view as subpar, I'll consider myself doing very well.

I expect you will pull through this procedure just fine, but since you are sending this message in case of an unlikely event, I'll take this opportunity to say that you are appreciated by those of us that you have helped and admired by those of us that have witnessed your dedication in helping others.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Is soldering relaxing? Sounds like work to me. I'd probably be thinking about that pretty nurse. ;)

Good luck SgtWookie, you'll be fine of course! I hope you don't get too bored in the recovery phase.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
God always help people who help others,God is always with people like you Wookie...
I will pray for you .Wishing you a speedy recovery...and a happy new year.

I don't like health problems, but we can't avoid it...

Good Luck

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I am very sorry to hear about your health problem. Naturally I hope that the procedure is successful and goes smoothly with no complications, so that you will soon be able to tell us of improved well-being and energy.

You will be in my prayers too.