Just a simple circuit question

Paul White

Joined Jan 20, 2015
I am having trouble with a motor reversing circuit and would love some guidance.

I have a SPDT selector switch and two SPDT limit switches that I want to use to start and stop the reversible rotation of a round door 180° in each direction.
The motor that is connected to the door is an AC gear motor.
I have the limit switches mounted on the door frame with cams on the door.
When the door is closed, the N.O. contact for limit switch “A” is closed.
When the door starts to rotate, the closed N.O. contact for limit switch “A” will be opened and after the door has rotated 180° to the open position, the N.O. contact for limit switch “B” will be closed.
The motor, a Bodine #0448, has four wires and a capacitor, and it can be reversed by switching two of the wires.

I am having a hard time trying to come up with a circuit that will do what I want to do.
HELP!!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor is a split phase motor and requires the start/run capacitor here is the leads for reversing direction.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/My%20Documents/Downloads/07410296.pdf
Normally you would have N.C. end of travel switches to stop each end.
Max.

Paul White

Joined Jan 20, 2015
Thanks Max,

I know how to reverse it, but I don't know how to do it with relays using the components that I already have.

Perhaps I need two 3PDT relays with some kind of interlock?

Paul

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Limit switches should be normally closed, and open when the door reaches its closed or open limits.

if you cant replace the switches for normally closed ones, you're going to have to use 2 extra relays to remove the power in each direction.

Paul White

Joined Jan 20, 2015
Thanks Dave,

The limit switches are SPDT so I can mount them so they work as you described, but what do I use to switch the two wires that reverse the motors direction?

Regards,

Paul

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Do you want the motor to automatically reverse and go in the opposite direction with no manual intervention?

By reversing two wires to you mean two sets of wires (4 wires)?

Paul White

Joined Jan 20, 2015
No, I would like to turn my selector switch to forward or reverse and have the door rotate the 180° until it hits the cam for the limit switch.

Actually on that motor you switch just the two wires to reverse it.

Thanks,

Paul