I've got a problem with something I downloaded

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I downloaded what I thought to be was a free trial of Microsoft Visio and this wasn't the case at all. My internet browser has been automatically changed to something else and it is absolutely riddled with advertisement pop ups and so on. I can't take it anymore. How do I get rid of it all?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Go to where your old internet browser is located and run it and make it Default browser, delete the one that got loaded.
Max.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
What version of Windows are you running. Do a restore back to a point where it was working okay. You have more than a browser issue there. You also have Malware which has taken over. If you cannot restore, run Malware Bytes by Piriform to get rid of the unwanted virus.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Here is what I suggest you try. You don't mention the Operating System or browser but I would boot the computer in Safe Mode With Networking, Then open your browser and try to download Malware Bytes the free version. Then run it in Safe Mode and see if it removes the malware that you are haunted with.
When prompted with "Please fill out the form below to register for your free product. Your download of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is one click away"! It is OK to give the basic information. Malware Bytes is actually legit good anti malware software.
Another option is to go into Start/Control Panel/Add/Remove programs or in later versions of Windows Start/Control Panel/Programs and Features and look for anything new that you didn't install by date. The trick is knowing what the malware is and most of this crap runs hidden. There are other ways but my first suggestion is generally going to work.

Ron

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
First I would do a safe start and UNINSTALL whatever you installed. You can sort the programs by date and look at your latest installs.

Then I would run malwarebytes until you clear everything. Also run your antivirus software to clear any viruses.

Do that in the safe mode if at all possible.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
First I would do a safe start and UNINSTALL whatever you installed.
^^^ is best option

last one i cleaned up installed about 8 items besides the program downloaded (deem as free add on stuff). after uninstalling and resetting ie settings, all good.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I do this all the time. Go to "Control Panel" - "Programs And Features" and find all the programs in the list that doesn't belong, and uninstall them. Be very careful when downloading, because these download for ads software gets superimposed over the site you want. I've learned to carefully read all the applets that get started when downloading. Also, ever legitimate software downloads are riddled with "Offers" which you don't want.

The internet sucks these days:(

PS, sorry ReloadRon for duplicating your suggestion, I skipped reading before responding.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I do this all the time. Go to "Control Panel" - "Programs And Features" and find all the programs in the list that doesn't belong, and uninstall them. Be very careful when downloading, because these download for ads software gets superimposed over the site you want. I've learned to carefully read all the applets that get started when downloading. Also, ever legitimate software downloads are riddled with "Offers" which you don't want.

The internet sucks these days:(

PS, sorry ReloadRon for duplicating your suggestion, I skipped reading before responding.
:) No sweat. Just keep in mind that malware won't always show up as an installed program and occasionally when it does you remove it and it just reinstall. Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it. :)

Ron

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Open the DVD reader, place the Acronis system back-up disk in it, restart the computer, follow the instructions on the screen. :)

What? You didn't make a back-up disk? :confused:

It seems I can't convince everybody that re-loading the system is way faster than trying to find the malware and remove it. :(

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The kind of adware described in the OP isn't hard to remove. I get this crap all the time. I use the Control Panel tools to remove adware as a matter of regular maintenance.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The kind of adware described in the OP isn't hard to remove. I get this crap all the time. I use the Control Panel tools to remove adware as a matter of regular maintenance.
I don't seem to have these problems. Maybe because I refuse to download programs for my computer.
People that do come to me with 8 tool bars and 10,000 undeleted old emails amaze me.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm going to take a look at Acronis as a disaster recovery plan. I assume yours is a purchased package?
Yebbut...I never used the, "License number" because you don't have to install it and license it to make a bootable disk that makes backup copies. (Don't tell Acronis!)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I rarely pay for software these day, though I'm not opposed to opening my wallet for something if I think I need it. I've migrated much of my computing load to Linux, where I pay for nothing. Now, I'm not about to become another "Linux Evangelist" because, to be honest, everything I've done in Linux has been a pain in the rectus gargantuous. But one good thing I can say is most downloads are handled by Package Managers, which insures you only get what you want.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I don't seem to have these problems. Maybe because I refuse to download programs for my computer.
People that do come to me with 8 tool bars and 10,000 undeleted old emails amaze me.
I don't seem to have these problems either. But, then again, I don't do Windows.