I've given up on Firefox

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've just had it with Firefox... the thing just keeps crashing in my Win7 OS whenever I open pages like youtube or some other place with a high content of media.
I didn't want to, but now I'm using Chrome, which is far more stable and faster too... it's a shame, because I've always liked Mozilla's focus on independence and progressiveness...

RIP Firefox... you will be sorely missed.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I stopped using it back in 2008 when it started to crash and freeze, then went to opera, later in 2011 to chrome.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I stopped using it back in 2008 when it started to crash and freeze, then went to opera, later in 2011 to chrome.
Yeah... but my very subjective opinion on Chrome is that Google has now become a sort-of-a-kinda-leaning-to-creepy-corporation ... it makes me feel unsafe

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is odd because I just reverted back to Mozilla as this used to be my favourite but I could never get it to view Utube videos, no matter how I tried, I then used Chrome for some time, but suddenly it started crashing repeatedly, so now I use Firefox and just run Chrome when I need to view Utube.
I am running XP Professional.
Anyone using Opera?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My Firefox had an argument with Avast auntie virus earlier this year. I had to whack Avast to get it to stop going into infinite loops.
Then Avast fixed their problem.:)
Now it works.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I have been FF user for decade or more. I run Win 7 64bit and have no trouble.

Ok, I do have one problem in FF, the newegg website not loading all images, but I have also been told that it might have to do with adblock plugin. I think that is my only problem with it.

Are you running a lot of plugins?

Have your installation been updated a lot? Meaning that you installed FF some years ago and have been putting patch on top of a patch on top of a patch... Maybe clean install of the latest version is the way to go. The pain with doing that is that you will have:
- save/backup bookmarks
- write down all the plugins you are using to install them later
- save/write down all the custom settings you setup for yourself over the years. I use Classic Theme plugin and setting it up every time is a pain even though it makes FF look they way I am used to and want it to look.

getting ready to dump FF Linux Ubuntu.
I've unchecked:
Block reported attack sites
Block reported web forgeries

and it seems faster. I've been getting can't find website errors or timeout errors. The safebrowsing errors (start firefox from the CLI) seems to be going away too since it no longer has to contact Google.

FF has no extensions/plug-ins but Adobe Flash

Flash is a joke. It just doesn't work well, but a necessary evil. keeping Flash updated because of all of the blocks by Mozilla is yet another pain.
Flash will hang in full screen mode. It gets type 1009 errors. It's basically not supported for TV streaming sites.

Maybe it's really Google that's the problem?

Chromium was much faster, but no Flash.

I changed to Google's DNS and there was no change.

...now I'm using Chrome
Beware of WebRTC during on-line transactions! Note that, unlike FF and it's ilk, said 'feature' cannot be truly disabled through Chrome! --- Chrome was installed on my Win7 implementation for about two hours -- Then I viewed the FW log!:mad: --- WebRTC 'exploits' were the least of it! --- If you value privacy and security - Google is most definitely NOT your friend!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Best regards and Good luck - Sadly, you'll need it!:(
HP

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Beware of WebRTC during on-line transactions! Note that, unlike FF and it's ilk, said 'feature' cannot be truly disabled through Chrome! --- Chrome was installed on my Win7 implementation for about two hours -- Then I viewed the FW log!:mad: --- WebRTC 'exploits' were the least of it! --- If you value privacy and security - Google is most definitely NOT your friend!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

HP
As I mentioned earlier... I'm not particularly fond of Chrome either... are there any other truly viable alternatives other than the infamous Three Amigos? (read: FF, Chrome and IE)

As I mentioned earlier... I'm not particularly fond of Chrome either... are there any other truly viable alternatives other than the infamous Three Amigos? (read: FF, Chrome and IE)
Depending upon your 'plug-in' requirements 'Pale Moon' is an excellent choice (IMO).

FWIW I run FF on Win7 ultimate and XP without problems -- Perhaps your difficulty owes to an incompatible/'buggy' plugin? (For instance, it seems Ghostery v6 and later has occasioned much 'agro' in that regard!)

Best regards and good luck!
HP:)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Depending upon your 'plug-in' requirements 'Pale Moon' is an excellent choice (IMO).

FWIW I run FF on Win7 ultimate and XP without problems -- Perhaps your difficulty owes to an incompatible/'buggy' plugin? (For instance, it seems Ghostery v6 and later has occasioned much 'agro' in that regard!)

Best regards and good luck!
HP:)
That's not a bad idea... I have a weather and an "undo closed tabs" plugins... I'm going to reset FF and then only install the recently closed tabs plugin... see what happens

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I gave up both on firefox and linux.

My dependency on windows was too great! Linux just lacks a lot in the department of having enough software (mainly dev tools for progamming devices).
Firefox, just never worked properly! It had problems with this forum too (I now use chrome and type free of lag).

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I forgot to comment that in both of my PCs, in one, more frequently than in the other, that infamous plug in container.exe started to play very bad creating long delays. And the antivirus...!

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013

HP
Hi, I was under the impression that CCleaner pro could remove log files, is this not true?

Hi, I was under the impression that CCleaner pro could remove log files, is this not true?
I apologize that my post was unclear:oops: --- My meaning was that my firewall's log betrayed Chrome's 'penchant' for surreptitiously 'phoning home' and opening files/indexing directories having nothing whatever to do with the browser's installation or function -- among other highly objectionable/suspicious behavior...

Depending upon the 'level' at which they are contacted, Google's response varies from that of absolute denial to assurances that info so collected will remain confidential to (in essence) "If you don't trust us you are free to uninstall the browser!":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best regards
HP