It's so much FUN to be an electronics nerd these days

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I'm 62 years old now and having more fun than any human being should deserve. Electronics has been SO good to me for about half a century. I wish we could somehow convey to the "yutes" in our midst how GREAT a career electronics is....and it is SO much more than computer programming, as important as that is.

Any kid who's BORED just isn't trying.

Eric

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm 62 years old now and having more fun than any human being should deserve. Electronics has been SO good to me for about half a century. I wish we could somehow convey to the "yutes" in our midst how GREAT a career electronics is....and it is SO much more than computer programming, as important as that is.

Any kid who's BORED just isn't trying.

Eric
And possibly lacks imagination besides. Anyone ever been to a Maker Faire?

http://makerfaire.com/

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Electronics has been my ticket to the world.
Every State I lived in, every job I had, were because I could work with electronics.
The only time I looked for a job for more than 4 hours was the day I turned down the first offer.
I just finished rehabilitating a 2005 car with a dozen microprocessors in it and, right now, I have 5 air compressors in the shed, playing mix&match to hopefully end up with 4 that work. To me, they are child's play. Much more time is spent deciding how to route air pipes than how to connect the wires. I can't imagine a more versatile skill, a more interesting way to work for money, or a better way to improve my home and hobbies than knowing how to work with electricity.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
And possibly lacks imagination besides. Anyone ever been to a Maker Faire?

http://makerfaire.com/
I took the family up to The Henry Ford (Deerborn, Mi) for the Maker Faire in 2012. A great time and a well organized event - everything from canning and homemade candy to raining swing to DIY 3D printers and various animatronic pieces of art. I recommend it. Maybe not every year but you definitely see some interesting things and plenty of time to talk to interesting people. I met the guy who made (and sold) the Nixie Watch to The Woz. This guy was wearing his own Nixie watch but displaying a lab coat with RGB LED strips that were projecting a full motion episode of The Simpsons - controlled mostly with FPGAs.