It's been a tough week.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
My dear mother, Joan, passed away Friday afternoon after a long illness, with myself and my wife 1Chance by her side here in Bradenton, FL.
Getting legal things taken care of prior to her passing took a LOT of time and effort, but delay would have been very problematic to say the least. Please folks, review your final plans at least every 5 years to make sure everything is covered.

We have been going through a lifetime of memories and things, and it's been rough. I can't post from my phone from some reason, and my cell phone can't get a signal due to her apartment being on the bottom floor, which is steel-reinforced concrete construction - a nice Faraday cage.

We will be heading back home this weekend, but will still be busy for awhile - lots of things fell through the proverbial crack while we've been gone - since the 4th of July.
Take care, everyone - and make sure to tell your loved ones how you feel about them.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sorry for your loss, Sarge. FWIW -- it's hard to beat a trust for a smooth transition and minimal headaches for the survivors. Ours have been in place for more than a decade.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Sorry for your loss Sarge. Your advice is sound & I wish that I would follow it- I've tried many times before, time for a re try.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My condolences, Sarge. It's good that the two of you were able to be there at the end for her -- that's something that so frequently isn't possible. Have a safe trip back home and enjoy the memories of your mom, now and forever.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Loosing a parent is one of the most stressful life-changing events that we endure. I hope your good memories of your mother help you to deal with her passing.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I understand your moment.
A long illness allowed me time to pre-grieve the death of my mother. I snapped out of the funk in three weeks. It still feels awful, but not as bad as the sudden, unexpected, slam of Death's Door which seems to echo for 6 months.

May your time constant be shorter than mine.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I lost my father when he was 54 - younger than I am now - suddenly during the night without warning. The details of that event are seared into my memories.

Not being able to say goodbye, to say anything... well, that was tough. I was jealous of the people that get that chance. But I've often wondered if it was better to "go gentle into that good night", or to see it coming from a distance. Not that we get the choice.

I'm rambling. Most of us know what you're going through and are dumbstruck with empathy.

You never recover, but you go on.