It has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Exactly the opposite. The NRA and most other pro-gun rights organizations are strongly in favor of stiff penalties for the misuse of firearms. They have this silly notion that the people that do bad things should be the focus of the attention and should be the ones held accountable.
Then why do they oppose universal background checks? If what you say is true, then they would want to do everything possible to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but then oppose each and every effort to do so.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Then why do they oppose universal background checks? If what you say is true, then they would want to do everything possible to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but then oppose each and every effort to do so.
I could answer the question easily...but as a manipulated victim of social engineering, such an answer wouldn't be authoritative -- nor a valuable use of my time.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How will universal background checks keep guns out of the hands of criminals?

Does anyone really think that criminals are going to stand on a street corner and go, "I'd love to sell you this gun that I just stole so that you can use it to rob that store over there, but they just enacted the universal background check law and so now I can't. Sorry."

The NRA and others oppose universal background checks because, in addition to not doing anything to address the problem, no method that has been proposed to do it wouldn't also enable the government to compile a list of legal gun owners and lots of people have real problems with that because of what it enables and where it could go (and has gone elsewhere). It's not sufficient for whatever law is passed to have a clause saying that the government is not authorized to build such a database, it is necessary that the government not be able to build such a database.

The NRA isn't the one opposing using mental health data as part of the background check. The NRA isn't the one opposing prosecuting people that attempt to purchase a gun when they know they are not eligible.

A proposal that the NRA endorsed a number of years ago would have addressed these concerns. First, anyone that needed an FBI background check for nearly any reason could order one and list any or all of the potential purposes that it would be valid for, such as purchasing a gun, working with youth groups, employment requiring no felony record, etc., etc. You would then get a card with that information that also had a digital certificate that could be authenticated on any web browser (without transmitting any information from the card to the authenticating agency, only the other way). With that card, you could then legally purchase a firearm from anyone without needing any further check at that time as long as the card hadn't expired.

Then, when you purchase a gun from any source the seller is required to verify ID and the FBI Background Card and enter the information onto a Bill of Sale that they were then responsible for maintaining, If the gun were ever used in a crime, then the LEO could trace that specific firearm beginning with the manufacturer who, upon being served with a warrant/subpeona for that information, would provide the LEO with the contact information for who they sold the firearm to. They would then follow that chain to the final store where the retail sale was made. That's how the system works today and at this point the LEO only has the contact information for the original retail purchaser. With the proposed system, they simply continue following the chain through all of the legal transfers that took place.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
REGISTER TO VOTE...WRITE A LETTER... JOIN ...WHICH EVER suits you best...LET'S

NOT GET UPSET OVER SOMETHING THATS votes or letters

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
REGISTER TO VOTE...WRITE A LETTER... JOIN ...WHICH EVER suits you best...LET'S

NOT GET UPSET OVER SOMETHING THATS votes or letters
I'm going to pretend I understood this, and say:

Ensuring one's God given inalienable rights should never come down to a vote at the ballot box.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Quite the opposite, let's hope that this is all it ever comes down to.
That's already too far. When one's natural rights depend on the whims of the majority, mob rule is established. Tyranny of the majority and all that...

Then, only through armed insurrection can those rights be restored.

Luckily, we still have a SCOTUS that, for the most part, continues to affirm the 2nd Amendment as an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
How will universal background checks keep guns out of the hands of criminals?

Does anyone really think that criminals are going to stand on a street corner and go, "I'd love to sell you this gun that I just stole so that you can use it to rob that store over there, but they just enacted the universal background check law and so now I can't. Sorry."
Amongst the proposals opposed by the NRA is one that would require stolen guns to be reported, also guns sold by the owner. Guns used in a crime that weren't reported stolen or sold would result in penalties to the registered gun owner. It won't keep people from steeling guns, but it would work against those who buy guns and voluntarily supply them to criminals.

All I'm being convinced of is the NRA isn't concerned about safety where guns are concerned. But I knew that already.

Status
Not open for further replies.