Issue with frontpanel on wine cooler

hlynge

Joined Feb 4, 2024
Have a broken wine cooler and could use some help. Dont think this is the C8 problem:
It is devided in 2 sections and have two controller boards....It is the top section that is not working, and I tried swapping the boards to check if it is a board error. I have isolated the issue to be related to the 3 wires that run to the front panel but there is not a lot of help to be found on how to check and repair this.
The board number is PCB140411k2
Hoping for help

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Have a broken wine cooler and could use some help. Dont think this is the C8 problem:
It is devided in 2 sections and have two controller boards....It is the top section that is not working, and I tried swapping the boards to check if it is a board error. I have isolated the issue to be related to the 3 wires that run to the front panel but there is not a lot of help to be found on how to check and repair this.
The board number is PCB140411k2
Hoping for help
Welcome to AAC!

Please post the make and model of the wine cooler.

hlynge

Joined Feb 4, 2024
Yes - but my issue it the 3 wire connector in the middle on the right side...
When this is connected to the upper board, it does not work, and when I then change it to the lower board, the lower board that control the lower circuit does not work...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What do you mean by "it does not work"? Can you elaborate?

1A. Upper panel connected to upper control board. Not working.
1B. Lower panel connected to lower control board. Working.

2A. Upper panel connected to lower control board. Not working.
2B. Lower panel connected to upper control board. ???

hlynge

Joined Feb 4, 2024
What do you mean by "it does not work"? Can you elaborate?

1A. Upper panel connected to upper control board. Not working.
1B. Lower panel connected to lower control board. Working.

2A. Upper panel connected to lower control board. Not working.
2B. Lower panel connected to upper control board. ???
You are correct... think it might be a broken LCD Panel ?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
On the assumption that the 3 pin connecter you are referring to is CN3 on the schematic posted by Dave in post #9 then I think the problem will be on the temperature sensor board. (The top right hand corner of the schematic.) Therw will be one of these sensor boards in each cooled section.
With both cooling sections at room temperature measure the resistance between pins 1 & 3 of the 3 pin plugs that plug into the control board. the resistance readings should be about the same. I suspect that the problem will be the preset or NTC resistor on the sensor board.

Les.

hlynge

Joined Feb 4, 2024
The upper resistance is approximately 40K ohm where the lower is around 20K ohm
Can this be the issue ?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Yes this is the problem. With the 3 pin plugs NOT plugged into the control board measure the resistance of the NTC resistor, The 8.2 K resistor and the preset on the temperature sensor boards. (DO NOT ADJUST THE PRESET TRIMMER.) Report the results

Les.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Dave, Those reading included the 8.2 K resistor and the preset. I suspect it will turn out to be the NTC resistor will be the fault.
I would not have been able to provide any help without the schematic that you posted.
Les

hlynge

Joined Feb 4, 2024
I think that in my case the problem is the sticky liquid that is on the board.
Do you think this will be possible to remove with isopropyl alchohol, or something else ?
Alternatively where would I be able to find a replacement board Wine_Cooler_board.jpg

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
IPA is usually safe to use.
But I doubt that the sticky liquid is causing a short. It's worth trying to flush it out with IPA.

hlynge

Joined Feb 4, 2024
Should i take any note that R13 and R12 are not there ? They are on the side that is not working
It is a unit i have found, so i dont know the full history