Is this transformer repairable

Kevin Foley

Joined Feb 26, 2019
Hi there.

My disco light have i have kept blowing the fuse so i opened up to see what was going on.
When i disconnected the transformer and i looked at the back of the circut board i seen that the there was all black burn marks around some resistors. Just wondering if this would be repairable.

And does anybody know what these resistors might be.

The fixture is a Showtec Dominator 3-in-1 disco light.

Thanks for any help provided.

Kevin

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It looks like careful, in person reading of those resistors (possibly with a little cleaning) could get the values. Thing is, you need to figure out why they smoked. It is unlikely just replacing them would fix it. You might want to try checking the transformer continuity.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You would have to see if the value is readable or a remote chance of finding someone with the same unit.
I though the days of Disco were over!:p
Max.

Kevin Foley

Joined Feb 26, 2019
It looks like careful, in person reading of those resistors (possibly with a little cleaning) could get the values. Thing is, you need to figure out why they smoked. It is unlikely just replacing them would fix it. You might want to try checking the transformer continuity.
wat would be the best way to do this. do i try to de solder the transformer out of the board and then try or what pins do i test.

aorry this is all new to me.

i have another of the exact same light so i can find out what resister they are

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would check that semi under the clamped heatsink, pull back the tape on the transformer and see if it shows any signs of overheating.
It appears to be a form of SMPS.
Max.