Is this MOSFET dead? (from TV set power board)

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
7N60NZ

I make a short GS and then see infinity DS in both directions.
Power it G-S(+ to G and - to S) with 9V battery and see 43 Ohms and getting bigger to "1" and in oposite direction "1"

/i use 200 Ohms range on my meter

thanks

i hear no sound from check G-D on Diode test mode

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
With my old meter i had Auto Mode for resistance and usually saw 0.000 in both directions
They often fail S/C all 3 ways - its not hard to spot.

Bear in mind that a static charge on the gate capacitance can enhance the channel, and MOSFETs have a "body diode" that's reverse biased in normal operation.

Short the G/S to eliminate gate charge and the D/S resistance should be higher than you can measure. The body diode can be identified by selecting DMM diode test and reversing the test prods.

You can charge the gate with 9 - 12V and see if it holds the channel in conduction - if the charge leaks away, the device will probably still work if the gate drive is properly designed, but I'd regard it as suspect.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
They often fail S/C all 3 ways - its not hard to spot.
What is S/C ?

I read in one bulgarian forum that after charge with battery the resistance D-S should be very low in both directions but here i see the oposite in both directions - "1" on my digital volt meter. Isn`t that a very big reason to label the transistor failed?!

thanks