Is This Inverter circuit working with 9-0-9 transformer and 15v battery

Navida

Joined Jan 13, 2023
Hi!,
I found a new inverter circuit. I want to know if I can use this with a 15v hybrid battery with some 6A diodes to drop the voltage and use a 9-0-9 transformer.
As you can see in the video the vrms is about 8.57v. Use IN4148 diodes across the gate and the source. I just need to light up few 5w light bulbs. Because we have power cuts in Srilanka
Video Link:
Mosfet schematic.jpg
Signal generator schematic  (1).jpg
Thank You!!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The transformer properties are key to whether or not the circuit will work satisfactorily. What wattage is the transformer rated for? How many 5W LEDs are 'a few'?
Btw, that inverter circuit does not generate a sine wave. The video title is misleading.

Navida

Joined Jan 13, 2023
The transformer properties are key to whether or not the circuit will work satisfactorily. What wattage is the transformer rated for? How many 5W LEDs are 'a few'?
Btw, that inverter circuit does not generate a sine wave. The video title is misleading.
its a 1920w transformer and around 5 5w bulbs

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
that inverter circuit does not generate a sine wave.
No, it generates a stepped square-wave with a pause at 0V, which is often generously called a quasi-sinewave or modified sine-wave by the builder of the inverters that use it.
But it's satisfactory for appliances that are not sensitive to the waveform not being a true sine-wave.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Why is that led is is more efficient ryt
Because of transformer magnetising current.
A 1920W transformer will probably have a magnetising current of 2A at 12V. That’s almost as much power as the LEDs Use.
Also, the step-down transformer In the LEDs may only be 75% efficient. The step-down converters in 12V LEDs are likely to be more efficient.
The only time it makes sense to convert to mains voltage is if you have very long cables to your lights.

Navida

Joined Jan 13, 2023
Because of transformer magnetising current.
A 1920W transformer will probably have a magnetising current of 2A at 12V. That’s almost as much power as the LEDs Use.
Also, the step-down transformer In the LEDs may only be 75% efficient. The step-down converters in 12V LEDs are likely to be more efficient.
The only time it makes sense to convert to mains voltage is if you have very long cables to your lights.
Hmm, I understand. Is it worth giving a try I am so much interested in electronics? And should I always connect the load before connecting to the battery? Will work with a LED TV

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hmm, I understand. Is it worth giving a try I am so much interested in electronics? And should I always connect the load before connecting to the battery? Will work with a LED TV
I absolutely agree with @DickCappels - but don't give it a try with a 1900VA transformer, give it a try with a 20VA transformer, as you are less likely to blow things up. At 20W you'll be able to test it with a few LED lamps.
It should work an LED TV, but no-one who makes LED TVs will guarantee their TV to work on your inverter, so if you damage it you'll have to buy a replacement with your own money.
(I'd still recommend the SG3525 and not the 4017)

Navida

Joined Jan 13, 2023
I absolutely agree with @DickCappels - but don't give it a try with a 1900VA transformer, give it a try with a 20VA transformer, as you are less likely to blow things up. At 20W you'll be able to test it with a few LED lamps.
It should work an LED TV, but no-one who makes LED TVs will guarantee their TV to work on your inverter, so if you damage it you'll have to buy a replacement with your own money.
(I'd still recommend the SG3525 and not the 4017)
But I don't have any other transformers

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have seen that same wiring diagram from youtube in two other posts recently, and while the circuit appears that it might function it has no feedback at all, which means that there is no voltage regulation what so ever. The output voltage is entirely dependent on the load current. and the battery voltage. There is no adjustment included. The actual frequency is dependent only on the component values in the oscillator circuit. So it is not a very good circuit.

If the builder has an adequate meter to measure voltages then it might be possible to verify correct operation.