Is this even legal?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If it weren’t so expensive, I’d love to sacrifice one to see what’s inside. Maybe just a smaller capacitor.
Is that what they mean? They dropped an automobile capacitor through the opening then sealed it inside?

Actually, this is a really typical supercap. It’s probably legit though I wouldn’t count on the quality or longevity.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Anytime you find something like that on Amazon you know where it came from... I didn't price shop, there a lots of them for sale on AliX.
1644333495457.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Anytime you find something like that on Amazon you know where it came from... I didn't price shop, there a lots of them for sale on AliX.
I was really only commenting on the bizarre description I highlighted. I have a hobby of trying to reverse engineer how they managed to get things like that from English and I am often successful but that one has me at a loss.

Oh, and by the way, that price is about the same.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
One of the funniest things I ever read was an interview of Madonna when she was on tour in Hungary. It had been interpreted from English into Hungarian and then translated again from Hungarian back into English. It was absolutely absurd. I've kinda learned to interpret chinglish after working with chinese vendors for over 20 years now. Tea is used to make soup from a biscuit of pressed tea. And when selecting which uH value you want for an inductor you have to choose which color you want. It can get even worse if you have to try and message vendors who have little English skills. But as I always say, their English is better than my Cantonese or Mandarin.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The so often mentioned back and forth tests between two languages give not always authoritative results (whether good or bad).

First of all garbage in means garbage out and second, you should have a certified translator which, for starters, that of Google is not. Worth to note that theirs is a cumulative process supported by eventual contributors who correct wrong meanings or add one

Years ago, "cuñado" in Spanish had no translation to English.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
I was really only commenting on the bizarre description I highlighted. I have a hobby of trying to reverse engineer how they managed to get things like that from English and I am often successful but that one has me at a loss.

Oh, and by the way, that price is about the same.

Perhaps the seller felt that by being honest about it he might ameliorate himself from liability? Sort of like saying: "For sale (Warning: FAKE)".

It is funny though. You see this quite a lot in the translation of Asian sources to English. Not just "lost in the translation" either. I am talking complete non sequiturs and straight up unusual commentary. (And yes, often as hilarious as it is perplexing!)

v1x2w3

Joined Jan 20, 2007
lol There are some pretty funny 'translations' sometimes!

Drops car capacitor through orfice certainly belongs towards the top. :)

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
...garbage in means garbage out...
I spent a year at a job where we imported Chinese goods. My boss was the owner's son, so his qualifications were not built of the best materials. We'd converse with workers at the Chinese factories quite often. When I wrote any email, I'd run it through a translator to Chinese and back just to make sure it still made sense. My boss, not so much. A favorite of mine was when he said something along the lines of, "Here is a summery of our conversation" I can only imagine what the email recipient thought when he read that. "Why is he talking about summer???" or "He thought our conversation reminded him of summer???"

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I was at a training course and one of the participants was from Spain. I said I was going to take a nap before all of us went out for dinner. He was baffled as to why I needed to go take a diaper. To him nap inferred a nappy which is a diaper.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
I was at a training course and one of the participants was from Spain. I said I was going to take a nap before all of us went out for dinner. He was baffled as to why I needed to go take a diaper. To him nap inferred a nappy which is a diaper.
LOL, reminds me of an old joke:

One day I gonna to Malta to a big hotel, in the morning I go down to eat a breakfast. I tell the waitress that I want two pieces of toast. She brings me only one piece. I tell her "I wanna two pieces". She say "Go to the toilet". I say "you don"t understand, I wanna two pieces on my plate". She say to me, "you better not piss on the plate, you sonnawabitch". I do not even know this lady and she call me a sonnawabitch!!

Later I go to eat at a bigger restaurant. The waiter brings me a spoon and a knife but no fock. I tell her "I wanna a fock" and she tella me : "Everyone wanna fuck". I tella her "You don"t understand me...I wanna fock on the table". She say : "You better not fuck on the table you sonnawabitch."

So I go back to my room in my hotel and there is no sheets on the bed. I call the manager and tell him "I wanna a sheet". He tell me to go the toilet. I say "you don"t understand I wanna a sheet on my bed". He say: "You better not shit on the bed, you sonnawabitch".

I go to the Check out and the man at the desk said "peace on you" and I say: "Piss on you too, you sonnawabitch". I gonna back to Italy!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Even English to English can be problematic. I worked with a programmer newly arrived in the U.S. from Australia. He went up to the female admin and asked is she had any rubbers, and was totally at a loss why she turned bright red.

rubber (Australia): eraser
rubber (U.S.): condom

And then there was was the Brit who made a date with an American woman and told her he would “knock her up at seven.” But maybe that one is apocryphal.

Bob

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
General purpose through-hole mounting Automotive capacitor.
Either that or it has a cloaca.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I have a hobby of trying to reverse engineer how they managed to get things like that from English and I am often successful but that one has me at a loss.
It would have many native English-speakers at a loss too, but Strantor's first interpretation seems likely!