Is this diode faulty? fr104

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Based on only this information, I'd say it's probably not faulty. I'm making some guesses about what you measured.

You'll get a better answer if you provide more details about what you measured (voltage drop?) and how.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
the component is not in circuit.

I read psu repair guide and there is something about 2 NPN transistors and check them base diodes. This is one of the two.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
the component is not in circuit.

I read psu repair guide and there is something about 2 NPN transistors and check them base diodes. This is one of the two.
Even cheap meters have a transistor-check function. If your transistors are out of the board, test them using that. I believe it reports current gain under a certain (and often unrealistic) set of conditions. Much better than simply testing the base.

Or you could even build yourself a little test rig, using the transistor to light up an LED or larger load as appropriate.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
Hm...
I am talking about diode connected before transistor, that just for protocol.

I measure the item out of circuit in diode testing mode with my middle class dvm ;)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The forward drop characteristic of the FR104 diode is below:
If the test current is around a mA, then a forward drop of 0.538V is normal.

upload_2017-9-7_13-32-43.png

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
One other question from diode`s family:
tf12n65
tf12n50

because my old dvm was stolen now i use different and am little confused because the old one had AutoScale for Resistance.
When make short G<>S i measure infinity which is ok but in other direction i see about 520 Ohms. I know it should be low but dont know how low

When make them dewatered i see about half an Ohm which is good