Is this an LED connected to 220V AC?

gknathkumar

Joined Oct 24, 2023
I see a light that is connected in series and plugged directly to AC but I couldn't find any resistor or diode anywhere in the series connection and the wire that is connected in series is also very thin. I have two questions,

• Is this an LED? If this is an LED which can be connected to AC supply directly ? What is the name of this specific LED?
IMG_20231108_213832.jpg
  • As the wire looks very thin, how does it withstand AC current? I thought it would burn out but it is not.

Disclaimer: I am sorry if my questions sounds too basic but i really appreciate if someone can clarify this.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
First, that is not an LED. It is a small incandescent light bulb.

Second, it draws only as much current as it needs. Incandescent lights do not need external current limiting. They are designed for a specific voltage range. As long as the voltage is correct, the current for that size bulb will be very small and handled easily by relatively thin wires.

Please post a photo of the entire light string. How many bulbs are in the string?

ak

gknathkumar

Joined Oct 24, 2023
First, that is not an LED. It is a small incandescent light bulb.

Second, it draws only as much current as it needs. Incandescent lights do not need external current limiting. They are designed for a specific voltage range. As long as the voltage is correct, the current for that size bulb will be very small and handled easily by relatively thin wires.

Please post a photo of the entire light string. How many bulbs are in the string?

ak
Totally 20 such lights are connected in series.
IMG_20231108_232311.jpgIMG_20231108_232238.jpg
How much more such lights can be connected in series ?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
That's a filament bulb, probably on a set of fairy lights.. 20 in series on a 240V supply is 12V each, or 6V on a 120V supply.

gknathkumar

Joined Oct 24, 2023
That's a filament bulb, probably on a set of fairy lights.. 20 in series on a 240V supply is 12V each, or 6V on a 120V supply.
If it is a filament bulb or incandescent bulb then I guess it can work either in DC / AC current right?

Wanted to check, if I can add 20 more such bulb to the same series? Will there be any harm or impact in the light glow?