Is this an impossible aspiration for an Electrical/Controls Engineer?

danton133

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Is there (or will there be) some specific fields within electrical engineering that support the ability to work fully remote? To escape the 9-5, location dependant norm.

This could be as a employee, contactor or maybe self employed?

More info: my current background includes panel design, plc's, and some experience with instrumentation and im looking for opportunities to steer my career towards remote work.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is there (or will there be) some specific fields within electrical engineering that support the ability to work fully remote? To escape the 9-5, location dependant norm.
This could be as a employee, contactor or maybe self employed?
More info: my current background includes panel design, plc's, and some experience with instrumentation and im looking for opportunities to steer my career towards remote work.
You don't want to work as a 'Contactor' you will be in and out all the time! :D

Joking aside:
Much of what you specified I have in my background, I eventually went out on my own, worked out very well. Especially if you can cover modern manufacturing, CNC etc.
Max..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A lot of engineering jobs (and many other fields as well) are now going to be remote.
That is the wave of now and into the future.

danton133

Joined Mar 12, 2010
You don't want to work as a 'Contactor' you will be in and out all the time! :D

Joking aside:
Much of what you specified I have in my background, I eventually went out on my own, worked out very well. Especially if you can cover modern manufacturing, CNC etc.
Max..
Haha, brilliant.

Although are you able to work full remote?

paclogic

Joined Aug 20, 2020
Software Engineering jobs are VERY possible for remote work, but Hardware Engineering is not likely to be able to work remotely.